89 mercruiser 120hp fuel starvation

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, last night while I was running about 3000rpm my boat kinda fell flat on its face. I backed off the throttle and then slowly eased back up on plane and it seemed fine so I anchored up at my fishing spot for a bit. On my way back to the slip it did the same thing but this time it stalled so I pulled my fuel/water separator and it made a hiss like it pulled in air. I got the boat fired back up but it ran really rough under load so I took my fuel cap off and still no better. I limped back to the dock but anytime I gave it any throttle above 1500rpm it would stumble and die. I'm going to go mess with it on Monday but my question is would a bad anti siphon valve cause me to pull a vacuum on the fuel system? I figured I kinda ruled out a clogged vent by running with fuel cap off, I also swapped my ign coil out just cause I had one with me, I checked the sight tube on my fuel pump and I had my carb off and cleaned it along with my filters about a month ago to clean up an idle issue. i figured it's starvation and not flooding because it would fire right back up and it's fine in neutral it's only under load. Any input is much appreciated!

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
anti-syphon valve?

The Anti siphon valve on the fuel tank. Sorry just to make my question a little clearer, would a stuck/bad anti siphon valve draw a vacuum on the fuel system so that when I cracked my fuel/water separator I would hear air rush in. I've never heard air rush in before when I took my filter off. I just never had one fail one me so I'm not sure how they act when they do fail. I use the boat about 3 times a week so I doubt it's a clog due to debris be cause it just happened outta the blue. I figured the first thing I would do is run on a remote tank and go from there.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The fuel pump is sucking ,if theres no fuel it will suck air from the fuel line.that creates a vac.
like sucking thru a straw with the other end plugged with your finger

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna look at my pickup tube as well to see if it has a crack or pin hole in it. That and the valve are about the only things I haven't repaired or replaced on the boat.

Last edited:

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got it straightened out, It wound being a bad anti-siphon valve. I figured I would post to close out the thread. Thanks a lot.