Mercruiser 4.3MPI Oil leak

shanz_2008

Seaman
Hi everyone I have 2 Mercruiser 4.3 MPI year 2007.
Both engines are leaking oil from between
the timing gear cover and the crank case.

I need to know if it is normal that this model of engine leaks oil from there and do i have to change the timing gearcover and the crank case gasket or the crank case gasket only?

alldodge

Staff member
There has been issues in this area, many are from a crack in the timing cover. Can you get a camera in there and take some pics?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Start here -> http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-covers-update

Then here -> http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...k-timing-cover

Finally, here -> http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...oil-leak-fixed

Bottom line? Pull the engines and replace with new, both timing covers and oil pans. Don't buy from Mercury, buy from GM.
GM Oil Pan number: 12597153 (usually comes with a gasket already glued in)
GM pan gasket (if not included with the pan): 10220906
GM Timing cover number: 93445880 (inc gasket and front seal)
Use a 2-pack gloss black paint over a compatible etch primer on the pan (before installation).
(No, you can't replace the cover without taking the pan off. No, you can't take the pan off with the engine still in the boat)

Good luck.

Chris........
EDIT: Just checked the prices on the pan. WOW! double what I paid 7 years ago... They must be running into supply problems...

Last edited:

Pete104

Lieutenant
"They must be running into supply problems..."

Or taking a page out of Mother Mercury's book!

shanz_2008

Seaman
Thats a very good price, just took out mine and it looks good but i will keep this website because i have to take out the other engine and check the sump too.

achris

The flaw is so small it's very difficult to see with the eye, and as it's on a curve you can't exactly hold a straight edge to it. If the timing cover is cracked at the bottom, the oil pan is the cause, and the only fix is a new one.

Chris......

achris

The crack is on the inside of the lip that the pan gasket seals against. You will not see it from the outside, you need to pull the pan off.

Chris......

shanz_2008

Seaman
Thank you very much for the photos. I checked again the used timing cover because I already changed the timing cover now I can confirm that it is not cracked.Thanks again!

shanz_2008

Seaman
No. The leak was from between the timing cover and the oil pan on both engines.
I only change the timing cover and pan gasket of one engine till now but i didn't found the root cause of the leak.

shanz_2008

Seaman
At end of this week I am going to change the timing cover and the gasket of the oil pan since, the oil pan is going to be out were do i have to check to verify if the pan is good or not?