Alignment tool wont go in? Bad coupler?

alldodge

Staff member
Fluid will come out when the hoses are removed. The easiest is to remove the hoses, just empty the power steering pump before removing hoses. Use a oil suction pump as what is used to change oil or, have container ready when the return line is removed

Bondo

Staff member
My concern is if I take the hoses off, a bunch of fluid come out, and how do I bleed it when I am done?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... I take the hoses of at the actuator, 'n drape 'em up over the motor,.....

The ends will be at the high point of the system, oil loss is minimal,...

A rag or 2 oughta take care of the spilt oil,....

To bleed it, fill it up, 'n run it,....
Then check the level again,.... No big deal,..... ;)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
There is an adaptor to join the 2 hoses too.Can also use rubber hose pushed over the ends.oil loss is minimal if strapped high on the motor

Scott Ransom

Cadet
Alright all, I have the mounts replaced, new coupler installed, and I am trying to align the engine/drive. I am getting marks on the right side of the tool, very little if any on the top and the bottom and I can not pull the tool out with two fingers. The stringers and transom are solid, I did check. When trying to align I did give the tool a wack top/bottom and left/right and I didn't notice any movement of the gimbal bearing. We did also try moving the engine side to side with maybe a little change but not enough. Any advice? Should i be able to tell if the gimbal bearing is tilting, it feels silky smooth when I spin it. Thanks again for all the support from the site has been great.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds to me that you have one side of the mount higher then the other and its in a twist

Scott Ransom

Cadet
Ok, thanks I will check that. Very well could be off I have not adjusted the front mounts yet, but that doesn't mean it was correct to start with. I am in way better shape now, i can at least get the alignment tool inserted in the coupler, the old one was worn so bad I couldn't fit the tool into it even when it was removed from the engine.

alldodge

Staff member
Remember you replaced the front mounts (they are not in perfect height), with that you need to start over with the alignment. Merc says once the engine has the rear motor mounts tightened, then lift the front of the motor only at the thermostat housing (center front of motor). Once lifted adjust front motor mount nuts so they just touch. Now sit the motor down and then start adjusting the nuts up or down evenly using the alignment bar.

You can get it aligned by just adjusting one then the other, it just takes longer, keep at it you will get it

Scott Ransom

Cadet
Thanks, i have not lifted the engine from the center yet I will try that. I want to also clarify I did not change the front mounts, only the rear, the fronts are adjusted as they were prior to engine removal. Thanks for all your help.

Scott Ransom

Cadet
I have the load side to side even, what is an acceptable amount of "pull" to get the alignment tool out. I have even spline marks all around, and the tool goes in and comes out easily, but not as easy as I saw on youtube with friscoboaters video. I think I am as close as I can get I can only go one flat or two lower on the port mount, then it bottoms out.

Bondo

Staff member
I have even spline marks all around, and the tool goes in and comes out easily, I think I am as close as I can get

Ayuh,..... I agree, be Happy, 'n bolt it together,....

alldodge

Staff member
Will agree but the thing that bothers me is the almost bottom out on the adjustment on one side

alldodge

Staff member
Any suggestions on the mount? When I started it was all the way down tight.

Starting all the way down, I would guess the boat has had some work down prior and was not done correctly. Either that or your transom is soft, but think you checked that and its good. So if you can move it in/out with not a lot of pressure I think just go boating.

Scott Ransom

Cadet
It is clear no work was done, and the transom and stringers are solid. Bar comes out easy, just not 2 fingers easy.

alldodge

Staff member
Solid, never been touched and still all adjustment is all the way down, my only thought is the manufacture should have never made boats. Either way

Bar comes out easy, just not 2 fingers easy.

This tells me you should be fine, IMO

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just throwing in my 2 cents, sometimes there is some slop in the flywheel cover, if you removed the cover to press in the new mounts and reinstalled onto engine, could be in a slightly new position. In my case, I slightly loosened all the bolts on the rear of the engine holding the plate on, and retightened. This allowed plate to sit evenly on all the bolts. Made a bit of difference for me.
If you have even marks all around on the alignment tool, that's a good sign though. If it glides in nice and smooth you're looking good.