Thermostat Housing Check Ball Question

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine Merc 1989 4.3LX S/N OC454332
I was winterising my engine , I have removed the Thermostat Housing Hoses and realised that the Check Balls on both sides
were sticked on the Housing. With my finger It was easy to loose them up. Now the check balls are loose.
How tight do I need to screw those balls to the thermostat housing so they function properly?
Can I put some grease (Quicksilver XTreme) on the balls so they don't stick to the Housing?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If you disassembled the balls/springs, I don't think there are a set spec for them, maybe the mfg. does it when they are built, but I don't know. never took them apart or had issues with them. Anew set would be the best way. if they a worn to much, and the housing is to rusty they wont set properly anyway. Are you in salt water
?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Agree- just buy a new set with springs, bolt and nut. They're very cheap. Clean up the housing and the ball seats. As Grub said, I don't think there's a spec for them. If you can tell where the nut was sitting by looking at the old screw, just screw the new one to the same spot. They don't need any real pressure. (I think) they were put there to keep exhaust gases from blowing back into the cooling system. if it springs back into place when you pull on one it should be tight enough.

My .02

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank you for the info.
No salt water for me. They are not broken. The balls are loose and need to be screwed so they can stay on the housing.
I will screw the nuts until they stay in position on the housing.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The balls are loose and need to be screwed so they can stay on the housing.
I will screw the nuts until they stay in position on the housing.

It's doubtful that they were adjusted incorrectly. They're loose because the springs are worn out. Replace them.

My .02

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I'd just replace 'em,....

If they aren't just sittin' there sorta floatin' on the springs,....
Yer gonna get a low speed over heat situation,....

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will order new parts & replace on both engines.
thank you again