Hydraulic trim oil in bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.

warfrik

Cadet
My drive was stuck in the up position at one point. I had someone push the drive down while im pressung the down switch. I finally went down. Its working now and i lubed the hydraulic rim shaft. Now its working up and down no problem, except i found some trim oil in the bildge, i think its when my buddy push the drive down that caused it.
Now, i cleaned the bilge, trimmed the drive up and down a few times, no more oil.
When i cleaned the boat after i used it the last time, there was no oil, and i didnt run the boat. Only thing i did to attempt to trim the drive up and down.
My question is, is there a release valve that releases too much oil under too much pressure? There is no evidence of oil leak coming from the pump or the lines coming from the pump. The only thing i cant see is the hoses under the y pipe ging to the transom.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see how oil would winded up in the bilge from the trim pump and still be at the correct level.

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

are you sure its trim/tilt and not power steering fluid? mercruiser states that you can use dextron(ATF) for the power steering and for trim and tilt... so you might want to check your power steering cooler lines... I have attached a pic of the cooler and lines to check

Attachments

• photo253137.jpg
    photo253137.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 0

warfrik

Cadet
The only thing i have not done is check the fluid level. My the oil in my tilt motor is engine oil. I loosened up the fitting at the outdrive some time and its the same color as the one i founs on the bilge. I doubt its my power steering lines. My atf is red in color

alldodge

Staff member
The only thing i have not done is check the fluid level. My the oil in my tilt motor is engine oil. I loosened up the fitting at the outdrive some time and its the same color as the one i founs on the bilge. I doubt its my power steering lines. My atf is red in color

If its a bit low then that's where it came from. The trim pump uses 10w30

WhiskeyJim

Recruit
I know this post is old but did you ever find the fix, I'm having a similar problem right now. Trim oil in my bilge along with some water.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know this post is old but did you ever find the fix, I'm having a similar problem right now. Trim oil in my bilge along with some water.

So why didn't you start a new thread? The guy with the leak hasn't returned so It's doubtful he will answer.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.