1993 Mercruiser 5.0 Qs

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently acquired a 93 Bayliner 2452 with 5.0 two barrel. It seems to run very well, has great oil pressure and a closed cooling system.
Questions:
1. The closed cooling system had weak antifreeze to handle about 10 degrees F at best. I want it to handle Montana winters at minus 35 F. I took out all of the antifreeze in the resivoir and added straight stuff, about half gallon. I ran the boat for several hours, when I returned I tested the resivoir and it was strong enough to handle minuse 35,,,however,,,,did the antifreeze circulate when I ran the engine for several hours,,,, or did what I put in just sit there;;;;;;I don't understand the system well enough.
2. The heat exchanger is a pain to get too,,,long cylinder deep next to the floor and seems to have drain plugs on each end underneath, but, very tight.....is one end for antifreeze drain, and the other for raw water? Is there any easier way to drain either, if/when need be?
3. It has nice trim tabs,however, I'd like to add a set of the manual tabs towards the center of the boat to help lift and run on plane at lower rpms....I visited with the manufacturer and they seemed to think it'd do the trick...as you may know the 2452 is a lot of boat for the 5.0 and I'd like to give it added lift to plane and run slower without dropping back into the hole....anyone ever use both...I've never heard of it, but don't know why it would not work well...if not.
Thanks

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
to your questions...
1. yes... if you did run it for several hours.
2. it depends on the system, so you need to find out the manufacture and inquire with them.
3. IMO do not do that... if you get to close to the drive you will have "blow out" if it where my boat I would put the widest tab plane you can without getting within 10" from the drive. like a 18x12 or a 24x12
that's my 2c

alldodge

Staff member
1. 50/50 mix good to -34, 70 antifreeze 30 water -84 degrees. Do not use straight antifreeze
http://www.cartalk.com/content/winter-driving-tips-5

2. Provide engine serial number, and since it appears to be in a different then normal place, please provide pic

3. Ah :nono: agree don't do that. You need more motor not more tabs

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
[h=3]SANMC-328OE[/h] 4.3/5.0/5.7 L 262/305/350 Chevy 1982 and Up, Remote Mount, Stringer or Deck Mount, Cools Block Only. for Tight Installations with limited space. Fresh Water Cooling Kits cannot be paid for by Credit...

Above is the only mercruiser model of a similar cooler mounted down on floor in front. It won't let me add the photo for some reason, but This shows two drains together, and mine seems to have something on each end...assuming they are drains...and is one for raw water that needs to be drained prior to winter?

Also, if I add affordable Smart Tabs,,,more than 10 inches away from drive,,,between current bennets, it seems that would add lift, and I can AFFORD them...bennet does also not advise adding extra length or width to existing systems as it causes potential failure or issues....again...love to have new bigger ones..but $$$,,,,,,,but is "blow out" a cavitation thing caused by disrupting the prop action?

alldodge

Staff member
Need to take a sample of the antifreeze to determine the freeze protection. Without a owners manual I would suggest opening each one slightly to see what comes out. My guess is there is one for each but wouldn't take a guess to protect the motor.

Tabs while providing left, they also provide drag. Tabs can help a boat get up on plane but also hinder the boat getting up (more drag). The best use for tabs is to keep the boat level while on plane.

Hey Tabman what do you say

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

[h=3]SANMC-328OE[/h] 4.3/5.0/5.7 L 262/305/350 Chevy 1982 and Up, Remote Mount, Stringer or Deck Mount, Cools Block Only. for Tight Installations with limited space. Fresh Water Cooling Kits cannot be paid for by Credit...

Above is the only mercruiser model of a similar cooler mounted down on floor in front. It won't let me add the photo for some reason, but This shows two drains together, and mine seems to have something on each end...assuming they are drains...and is one for raw water that needs to be drained prior to winter?

Also, if I add affordable Smart Tabs,,,more than 10 inches away from drive,,,between current bennets, it seems that would add lift, and I can AFFORD them...bennet does also not advise adding extra length or width to existing systems as it causes potential failure or issues....again...love to have new bigger ones..but $$$,,,,,,,but is "blow out" a cavitation thing caused by disrupting the prop action?

more than likely the two things you think are drains are zincs... and yes blow out is cavitation caused by water being disrupted by the trim tabs... my buddy has a striper that from the factory they where mounted WAY to close so they are basically useless because they will blow out the prop... see attached pic

Attachments

• photo253157.jpg
    photo253157.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 0