2015 mercruiser fuel pump

502ung

Cadet
I want to put a racor fuel/water separator on my boat. What I need to know is the thread size on the bottom of the pump. PN#861155A3

​I need to get the proper fitting to a barb so I can accomplish this.

​or any other ideas to run a external water/fuel filter?

thanks

502ung

Cadet
I have a 4.3 carb model

​I think your link is exactly what I have been looking for.

​I need #19 in that link but with a barb fitting

thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Knowing the size of the threads may help narrow your search say at local big and small hardware stores. Try image searching online " FITTING, (.625 x .250), Fuel Adaptor " to see if you get any hits too.

Maybe in here, http://www.boatspartsformarine.com/pump-10-24727/2-npt-hose-z7qbtnfd5qsso6og.html
https://www.grainger.com/category/p...25+x+.250+barb+fitting?sst=All&ts_optout=true
http://www.mcfaddendalehardware.com/

If not then you may have to go AN fittings to make something work. http://www.jegs.com/c/Fuel-Carbs-Intakes_Carburetor-Fuel-Inlet-Lines-Fittings/10301/10002/-1

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You should have a rubber hose from the fuel tank to where? That year should already use a fuel sep filter. whats the engine serial number?

502ung

Cadet
Thanks fun times. I'll check those links out
​Rubber line goes from fuel tank to filter, so no big deal there. Then it has a hard line from filter to bottom of the pump. That's where I need to know the thread size.

​It does have a fuel/water separator on it right now. I am having water in fuel issues from day one with this boat. 23hrs on it and have changed the fuel filter 4 times already. I want to put a racor in for 2 reasons able to drain water out and relocating it to a easier spot to service. Where the fuel filter is right now its incredibly hard to get at, really low and zero room.

​egn ser #2A438046

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
IMO I would put it after the fuel tank and before the oem fuel/water filter... not after it

502ung

Cadet
I agree bman but it seems like this pump is pulling fuel from the tank through the filter. if I try and go through 2 it could cause a restriction and would definitely make the pump work hard.

​That's why I'm thinking to only run the racor

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree bman but it seems like this pump is pulling fuel from the tank through the filter. if I try and go through 2 it could cause a restriction and would definitely make the pump work hard.

​That's why I'm thinking to only run the racor

ahhh... I did not realize you where taking the OEM one out of the equation

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I would think you would find the water source first, a missing O ring on the filler plate makes adding 100 filters useless.
Does the filler opening have a rain flange, does the filler cap have a O ring,.Is the tank vent facing the wrong way.Are you being too agressive washing the hull and forcing water into the tank.

502ung

Cadet
Thanks for the reply BTdoc

Filler plate o ring looks good. I even had a dealer go through it looking for a possible water source. They said everything looks good.

​Definitely not being aggressive washing it.

​When I put the boat away for winter it has a custom water tight cover that goes around it and ties to the trailer, then a couple of those moisture dri z air things in it. One in the engine bay and one in the boat. And I also make sure it is completely dry before storage. Last year when I was getting ready for the season it was just like how I put it away for the winter. Clean and dry.

thumpar

Admiral
I think you need to fix the problem and not put a bandaid on it. My current boat has had the same filter/separator for 3 years with no issues and the last boat I had only had the built in pump filter that I never changed.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Not many ways to get water in a gas tank.
Taste a sample of the water, salt=ocean water
Its rainwater entry, take a sample for testing .Is there Chlorine present. N rainwater, Yes city water
City water is from washing the boat,or someone introducing the water

502ung

Cadet
Not trying to put a bandaid on it. But make it easier to change if it does happen again. I have and the dealer has gone over entire system. With nothing obviously jumping out at me to fix.

I'm thinking I may have bought the boat with bad gas or one of my first tanks was bad. Who knows.

​Last time it was out I totally ran the tank down. Pretty much sucking fumes. So hopefully its all fuel in there now.

​I guess I'll see what happens next spring.

​Thanks