Fuel Pump replacement 4.3L MPI; need to pull exhaust & replace cooler too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNYboater

Recruit
Engine is a Mercruiser 4.3L V-6 (ser# 0M622077) in a 2003 SeaRay. Twin engines, one I can hear the fuel pump pressurize up & the other is silent.
The pump is getting power; I just had the dealer check it out & but we're looking at a very expensive job if they do it (>$1300). They are replacing both the pump & the cooler; is that necessary? Merc sells the pump separately I see. They are also quoting new gaskets for the exhaust elbow; again, it that necessary to be removed to get to the pump? I *think* I see it, buried on the port-side of the engine, down fairly low. Fortunately, it's the port engine & the hot-water heater is there so there some room to crawl back in there.
I did several search for a 'how-to' but didn't find it. I'm not going to cheap-out on parts but I hate spending $800 on labor if it's something I can do!
Thanks for your advice.

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
you can do it your self... and with just the fuel pump not the whole cool fuel system... if you can get down there and see it and put both hands on it you do not need to remove exhaust.

alldodge

Staff member
If the fuel pump is not coming on the first thing to check is the fuses under the cap next to the ECM. You said they determined it was getting power, so it this is correct the pump or the connector will need replacing.

The pump and main power comes from the fuses and relays
attachment.php

Next check or swap the relays next to the ECM. They are bit over an inch square and most cases they are black.
fetch

Merc decided in a service bulletin to replace the cooler and pump as a unit. It started because the cooler didn't have a drain on it, and the new one does. Another reason to replace the cooler was more for the salt water boats due to corrosion. The pump can be found and only it replaced, but this would be if you did the job.
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bulletins/001/04//2004/EN_05.PDF

The kit cost around $400
The pump alone cost around $160

If exhaust was removed the gasket should be replaced.

You can replace the pump, the issue is getting at it. Being real tight, the exhaust may need to be remove to gain access. The pump has a plastic cover over it which just uses clips to hold in place

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The cool fuel unit is held in place by two studs used for the motor mount. If you remove the water hoses, the fuel lines at the water sep and the 2 nuts holding it to the motor mount you should be able to remove the unit for service.

UNYboater

Recruit
If the fuel pump is not coming on the first thing to check is the fuses under the cap next to the ECM. You said they determined it was getting power, so it this is correct the pump or the connector will need replacing.

The pump and main power comes from the fuses and relays

Next check or swap the relays next to the ECM. They are bit over an inch square and most cases they are black.

Merc decided in a service bulletin to replace the cooler and pump as a unit. It started because the cooler didn't have a drain on it, and the new one does. Another reason to replace the cooler was more for the salt water boats due to corrosion. The pump can be found and only it replaced, but this would be if you did the job.
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bull...2004/EN_05.PDF

The kit cost around $400
The pump alone cost around $160

If exhaust was removed the gasket should be replaced.

You can replace the pump, the issue is getting at it. Being real tight, the exhaust may need to be remove to gain access. The pump has a plastic cover over it which just uses clips to hold in place

They showed me that bulletin when I asked about replacing only the pump without the cooler. It's a good shop & they've been good to us over the years. However, $1300 stopped me short!
I'm debating this...on one hand, $750 in labor is a lot of money but on the other, the time would be easily doubled if I try to figure things out. If I do it, it would be a winter project, & up here near the Canadian border, that means having to winterize the engine as best I can without it running. When I add in the gas fumes, working in a confined space, my age & girth, & the possibility of freeze-damage if I don't get winterizing right, the cost seems somewhat more reasonable!

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
simply remove the block drains and probe the opening , remove the manifold holes or drain plugs to drain them. install the plugs and pour the af directly into the hoses

Bondo

Staff member
If I do it, it would be a winter project, & up here near the Canadian border, that means having to winterize the engine as best I can without it running.

Ayuh,.... As BD says, just Drain the water out of it, 'n it's winterized to -100?,.... No need to run it,....

Where about's up here next to Canadah,..??
I'm only 10 or 20 miles from the big creek myself,....

UNYboater

Recruit
Where about's up here next to Canadah,..??
I'm only 10 or 20 miles from the big creek myself,....
Alex Bay, NY on the St. Lawrence River. There is only river & islands between my house & Canada!

tmagyar

Cadet
Engine is a Mercruiser 4.3L V-6 (ser# 0M622077) in a 2003 SeaRay. Twin engines, one I can hear the fuel pump pressurize up & the other is silent.
The pump is getting power; I just had the dealer check it out & but we're looking at a very expensive job if they do it (>$1300). They are replacing both the pump & the cooler; is that necessary? Merc sells the pump separately I see. They are also quoting new gaskets for the exhaust elbow; again, it that necessary to be removed to get to the pump? I *think* I see it, buried on the port-side of the engine, down fairly low. Fortunately, it's the port engine & the hot-water heater is there so there some room to crawl back in there.
I did several search for a 'how-to' but didn't find it. I'm not going to cheap-out on parts but I hate spending $800 on labor if it's something I can do!
Thanks for your advice.

I know this is an old post, but not that old. And I just wanted to add that it is absolutely possible to replace either the port or starboard cool fuel module in the 4.3MPI in a Sea Ray... Not sure what boat you have but over the course of two seasons, I had to replace both of my fuel pumps in my 2003 280DA.

On the starboard side, it was pretty straightforward as the fuel module is near the centerline and gives you a bit more space to pull the assembly out from underneath. On the port side since there isn't enough room to drop it down, I had to remove parts of the power steering unit (maybe just the hose IIRC?) and my single-point drain valve. Then I could pull the unit forward and out from the engine. I did not have to remove any exhaust components.

Best part? Free labor! And while it was a painful job working in close quarters, it only took a couple of hours.

I have more details written down somewhere if I can find 'em...

Status
Not open for further replies.