Outdrive Issue? on Long Island Sound

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
From my experience with them, customer service and warranty service is top notch with SEI. I had to have one of my units worked on and repaired under warranty and they fixed it - no questions asked. Very fast turn around time.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went back to UPS and had them re enter the address and the drive has been sent and received by SEI. Will post the result.

I also had a question that someone here may be able to assist with. I am ordering the outdrive gasket set, gear lube and oil fill / drain plugs.
I need to order the little oil gasket / seal between the upper and lower unit and can't seem to find it. Anyone point me in the correct direction?

I found this one ( no picture) 18-2944 Seal Ring - replaces O.E. # 26-45577 is this correct?

Last edited:

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, so I got the kit to reinstall the outdrive, the gear oil and new drain plugs. The repaired drive arrived at my house today!!

I would like to put it back on tomorrow, weather permitting and have it back on the water this weekend. It will be in the 40's tomorrow and they are forecasting snow changing to rain Thursday. Tomorrow is my best bet. By the way, Sunday's forecast is sunny and 70.

They had to replace the clutch, some gears seals and u joints. All was done covered by warrantee.

All in all, very pleased with SEI and the quick turn around with the repair. (the only thing better would have been if it didn't break)

Scott06

Vice Admiral
How many of you have sent SEI drives back for warranty work? Seems like at least three or four in this thread here? Nice they have great customer service and warranty but seems like a lot of failures? How many hours before they fail?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
How many of you have sent SEI drives back for warranty work? Seems like at least three or four in this thread here? Nice they have great customer service and warranty but seems like a lot of failures? How many hours before they fail?

I never had to send back mine for warranty. (that what you wanted to hear?)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
The truth is anything can break. The reason people usually post here is because something broke. I had to replace my Mercruiser Alpha because the drive shaft sheared in two. It happens - even with stock stuff. I have not noticed any more problems with an SEI unit than Mercruiser OEM units. Just my experience.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My drive was on for 3 seasons. Did not have a lot of hours on it as my time is limited to get out. If I were to guess I would say it had 40 - 50 hours on it. Don't think that is a lot/ Up to the last time I had it out, I had not a single issue with it. Very happy.

Unfortunately, I was not able to put the drive on today. Next chance to do it will be Sunday afternoon. Too bad as I was hoping to get out Sunday. But, will be working the weekend. I will let you know how it goes when I finish.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Guys thanks for sharing your SEI experince, and yes Rick that does answer my question. I realize that SEIs are bout half the cost of a new Merc drive and folks writing in are only the ones with issues. This was the second time this season I'd seen a posting about SEI ujoints being replaced under warranty amongst other issues. U joints aren't a big deal anyways.

Bulk of my experince is 40'hrs a year in fresh water, I guess I got luckily with my 1990 gen 1, in 25 years an input shaft seal and yoke, couple impellers, ujoints after 20 + years, a pair of gimbals, one bellows and shift cable... and a busted shift lever because a goon forced the drive on (me).

Sounds like the SEI is a good option if you need a drive. Thanks

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Time to go boating :^)

Been pretty chilly out here on the island lately Rick! Hoping we get a few more nice days in the 60's. Really lucked out last week was in the 80's!! :flame:

Natsgrampy, where abouts do you boat on the sound? Good luck getting the new drive working, hope you get back on the water soon. Good to know that SEI has good customer service, just in case I need them in the future.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Been pretty chilly out here on the island lately Rick! Hoping we get a few more nice days in the 60's. Really lucked out last week was in the 80's!! :flame:

Natsgrampy, where abouts do you boat on the sound? Good luck getting the new drive working, hope you get back on the water soon. Good to know that SEI has good customer service, just in case I need them in the future.

I've got the boat winterized and the drive reassembled after installing new upper seals. Already been a number of sub freezing nights here in Northern Idaho. Lucky no snow, I guess.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I usually go out of Groton or Stonington Anywhere from the CT River to Watch Hill, RI.

Today has been the first day I have had the time to put the drive back together. I was pleasantly surprised to find the needed gaskets and O - rings packed in with the upper unit.

The drive is now back on the boat. Yahoo! I will try to get on the water at the local lake to test it out.

Now I have a related question.

When I was finished re - installing the drive, I went to put the Zinc anode back on and realized the bolt needed to be put in prior to putting the upper and lower together DUH.

Is this absolutely needed? Will it allow water into the drive if I just leave it off?

If I have to I will just try and remove the lower unit to put the anode back on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I was finished re - installing the drive, I went to put the Zinc anode back on and realized the bolt needed to be put in prior to putting the upper and lower together DUH.

Is this absolutely needed? Will it allow water into the drive if I just leave it off?

alldodge

Staff member

It will not allow water into the drive where it should not be. There will be an air pocket above the prop and can cause prop ventilation.

Rick Stephens

Admiral

That is so easy to overlook. But it's not THAT big a deal to split the halves and put the bolt in. Yeah, gotta pump the oil back in. 15 minutes, anyway.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
can it be done without removing the drive from the boat? I haven't put oil in yet.

alldodge

Staff member
can it be done without removing the drive from the boat? I haven't put oil in yet.

Sure can, remove the nuts and drop the lower half. Note the position of the shift foot, usually easy to just keep it in full forward. When replacing keep the prop locked in CCW position.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I always found it so easy to pull the drive, while it is so hard to line up and re-mate the halves without screwing up the seals, that I pull the drive in a hot minute. I bet using the 'swear word' measuring stick will be much higher number used after you try and lift a lower up into an upper.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got it all back together and started it up.on the hose.Ran awesome in neutral.

Is it OK to shift into gear while on the hose? I never do that as I was afraid it would mess something up.