Outdrive Issue? on Long Island Sound

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Out on Long Island Sound Sunday and ran into an issue with the boat, a 1989 Sea Ray with 3.0 Mecruiser, with a 2 year old SEI Outdrive

After about an hour of fishing, with the motor running, I put the boat into gear and as it started moving, there was a "bang" from the back of the boat. (Not a back fire) Almost as though it jumped out of gear and back in.

We were fine for a while without any issues, then, it did the same thing. It was at this point I figured all was not well so I decided to head back to the launch.

As we were heading back, there was a point when it seemed as though it again jumped out of gear and back in about 4 or 5 times in about 2 or 3 seconds.The boat seemed to list to the port side. It kind of felt as if I hit something submerged, we were in 30 feet of water.

I kept going back to the launch without further incident. This took about 40 minutes as I was really going slow, 7 -8 mph. Once at the dock, I tied it up and put it into forward without any "noise" I then put it into reverse and it didn't feel right, rattling/ shaking.

Out of the water, the prop spins freely without any "grit" it seems fine. It will run fine in neutral without any noise, I checked the prop and skeg and it doesn't look as if anything was struck

This is a 2 year old SEI outdrive which has been running perfect since installed 7/14. I replaced the gear oil at the end of last season and have only used the boat about 20 -25 hours this season.

Where should I start looking for this problem without voiding the 3 year warranty from SEI. Does this sound like an outdrive issue or something else? Shift cable?

Anyone have any experience with warranty issues from SEI?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
After about an hour of fishing, with the motor running, I put the boat into gear and as it started moving, there was a "bang" from the back of the boat. (Not a back fire) Almost as though it jumped out of gear and back in.

This is a 2 year old SEI outdrive which has been running perfect since installed 7/14. I replaced the gear oil at the end of last season and have only used the boat about 20 -25 hours this season.
Howdy,

Sounds like it indeed "jumped" out of gear! My initial reaction sounds like a lower shift cable adjustment. But since you should have a 3 year "no-hassle" warranty, I would be giving SEI a call pronto!

Regards,

Rick

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How strict do they adhere to having original receipt policy? I have all my boat receipts in a tupperware tub which had something spilled in and most of the receipts were damaged. I do have the record from my credit card company.

Should I check anything, ie the gear oil or call SEI first?

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy,

Sounds like it indeed "jumped" out of gear! My initial reaction sounds like a lower shift cable adjustment. But since you should have a 3 year "no-hassle" warranty, I would be giving SEI a call pronto!

Regards,

Rick

Going out this AM to check the lower shift cable.

I will update a little later today

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
How strict do they adhere to having original receipt policy? I have all my boat receipts in a tupperware tub which had something spilled in and most of the receipts were damaged. I do have the record from my credit card company.

Should I check anything, ie the gear oil or call SEI first?

I just bought an SEI upper and asked that same ? relating to warranty registration because the unit came with a warranty registration card, SEI told me all I needed for warranty service was the serial#... they have it on file there.. call em and give em your serial #, they will come up with you.. date purchased.. no problems

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You might pop the top and take a peek inside the upper case. Takes just a few minutes and can tell you a world of info about the top half at least. While it hasn't happened to me while I was in the boat, I have talked to a boat owner who described similar behavior and he found a missing tooth in the upper gear case.

I think the serial number on those SEI drives is inside, you have to split the cases to get to it.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You might pop the top and take a peek inside the upper case. Takes just a few minutes and can tell you a world of info about the top half at least. While it hasn't happened to me while I was in the boat, I have talked to a boat owner who described similar behavior and he found a missing tooth in the upper gear case.

I think the serial number on those SEI drives is inside, you have to split the cases to get to it.

Yeah I went to SEI forum and the serial #'s are between the upper and lower unit. I don't want to start poking around and risk voiding the warranty.

I will pop the drive off, separate upper and lower, get serial #s and contact SEI.

The shift cable seemed fine when I checked it out.

According to the SEI website, once they receive the drive, the turn around is extremely fast. Most are either repaired or replaced within 2 days of receipt.
WE'll see.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took the drive off and separated it. I don't see a serial number. Anyone have any ideas where they may be. I need the numbers to continue the return process.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Duh, I looked inside the upper and lower and there is a small metal plate attached in each wit SN on them.

Contacted SEI and waiting for further instructions.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Contacted SEI and they told me to send the drive back.
I went ups with the drive in 2 pieces and they told me, the address was "undeliverable". They wouldn't ship the drive.

I have to contact SEI tomorrow to find out what to do now.

Anyone else have issues shipping to SEI? Should I try Fed Ex?

alldodge

Staff member
The link says you need a return number and this address Please clearly mark the outside of the package with the new return authorization number and send your package to :
Sterndrive Engineering New Returns Department
115 S. Forest Lakes Blvd.
Oldsmar, FL 34677

Did you ship to this address?
http://www.sterndrive.cc/return.html

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's the address I gave to UPS and they say they won't ship to that address. They deem it "undeliverable"

UPS says there are too many claims from that address. I could have told him to override it, but, they wouldn't guarantee it's arrival.
Even if I insured the boxes, they wouldn't cover any losses.

I wasn't able to get in touch with SEI to get their thoughts as I worked late today. I am going to see if it can be delivered to a nearby UPS store or just go to Fed Ex

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry for your trouble but this is real good to know for anyone buying SEI. Hey Bondo ever hear of issues?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Email Justin Webb. He's their support guy and gets emails all sorts of weird hours. his address is justin (at) sterndrive.cc

Rick

Bondo

Staff member
Hey Bondo ever hear of issues?

Nope,..... Any issues I've had amounted to puttin' the drive 1/2s back into their original boxes, 'n shippin' 'em,....

probably 10 days, two weeks turn-round time,...
Didn't pay attention, pulled the boat for the season,... wasn't long though,...

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I contacted SEI today and they can't understand why it isn't deliverable. They advised me to do the following. Instead of this address Sterndrive Engineering New Returns Department
115 S. Forest Lakes Blvd.
Oldsmar, FL 34677
change it to 115 Forest Lakes Blvd South

Will try again tomorrow at UPS.

alldodge

Staff member
You know their right. If you put in 115 Forest .... it comes up, if you put in 115 S Forest ..., it doesn't come up, but does show the 115 Forest instead