Mystery Parts in Alpha One Gear Case?

ctanke

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,
Can you help me identify these rubber parts that I found in the bottom of my gear case?
Off of a new to me boat - Alpha One drive. Impeller was replaced last year, boat runs great and at proper temp.
Approximately 2" wide at widest point. I guess I don't need 'em (LOL). Can't figure them out. Thanks

Attachments

• photo253066.jpeg
    photo253066.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep....those are your exhaust shutters, need to clean the remaining pieces out and get them replaced. Keeps water from backing up thru exhaust when making a quick stop. Relatively easy to replace. Don't need them to run but.....could cause serious problem if water backs up into exhaust...best to replace them and check the impeller, normally they good bad from overheating the engine/exhaust.

ctanke

Seaman Apprentice
Ugh,
Looks like the engine needs to be pulled to do the replacement if I choose to have it done. So what would you do?
This is a sweet running original 1972 888. Great compression, power, idols at 650.
I am committed to someday rebuilding the engine/keeping an 888 in the boat when the time comes.
I am not a mechanic and would not be doing this work myself.
1. How common/much of a chance am I taking but running it without the flappers?
2. Is it worth paying to have this done now, or roll the dice? If it does back up, well, have the engine rebuilt then.
Not trying to be cheap. . .just smart

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Nope, you may need to remove the exhaust elbow, to get the rubber belllows off, don't know nothin about Fords. Here is the diagram: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s.../31949/1580/80 the shutter is # 30. Yeah, the reason your impeller got replaced is that it failed and without enough cooling water going out in the exhaust the shutters got the rubber cooked off them and they fell apart. When you get in there make sure the rubber exhaust bellows are still in good shape, they can get melted in an overheat. Not too bad DIY job. It is wise to have them in place. If you are going to run a "72" boat you should know how to do stuff, after all it is probably older than the techs working on it ;)

Pete104

Lieutenant
Terry
These aren't mounted up top in the "bull horn". Their installed down low at the gimbal housing. This bull horn is a 3 piece component. There is only 1 flapper.

OP
You might be able to change it with out pulling the motor. Depends alot on boat manufacturer. I guarantee it will be easier with the engine out. No way around it, it needs to be replaced.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah Pete, like I say don't know old Fords. Guess it depends on how much room you have back there.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah, like I said don't know much, looks like it is way down there. May have to pull the engine forward to access it.

Pete104

Lieutenant
I got it done in a late 70's Cobalt once but the access was there & I was 30 yrs younger. LOL