Installed spare o/d and seems like cables are out of adjustment now?????

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I keep a spare alpha drive in the event I have a drive issue during boating season to get me back and running same or next day.Had to use it last season and when I installed it, for the balance of the season it seemed like my cables were out of adjustment.Didnt cleanly engage in reverse.After the season I put the original drive back on after servicing it and the cables no longer seemed out of adjustment.It was evident to me that there was something with the spare drive that was a little different causing it to shift slightly different.Weird stuff.i service the drives myself so i would notice if something was obviously different about the drive.Any ideas if issue is upper or lower??

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wouldn't be a issue in the upper. All the shifting is done through the lower from the inter. shift cable on Alpha drives. Not entirely sure what would cause issues shifting into reverse on the old outdrive vs the new one....Possible the clutch dog teeth are becoming worn or maybe the teeth on the reverse gear.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Each drive is slightly different and it is normal that a cable adjustment for one drive would not necessarily be right for another drive on the same transom housing. When you swap drive you should go through the cable adjustment again.

Chris......

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have actually used the spare on both sides and it is better on port but on stbd side not so good.I dont want to play with the adjustments for 2 reasons.First reason is that usually when I try to adjust ,turns out worse than when I started.Second reason is that the drives on it currently,shift perfectly so instead of rotating the spare in when I service the drives,I will use it exclusively in an emergency....a true spare..Had stbd impeller fail a couple of years back right in the middle of vacation.Had my marina hoist me up at the end of their work day,Leave it in the sling,came that night with my spare,swapped it out and was ready to go back in the water when they arrived next morning.Didnt even lose a day on the water.Its good to have a spare.Charlie