outdrive removal

boatman37

Lieutenant
looking to repaint my alpha one gen 1 this off season. impeller and bellows were replaced the middle of last year and temps are normally around 155*. thought about pulling the drive before storing the boat underground and keep the outdrive in the garage. my concern is how hard is it to remove? i really don't want to touch the bellows. should i replace the impeller? i probably have 15-20 hours on it since the impeller and bellows were replaced. if the impeller is good then i may just leave everything on and paint the drive this spring. just figured i would have more time this winter if it was in the garage.

if i do remove it the boat will be stored underground. should i just cover the gimble ring in plastic?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Shift into full foward ,prop will be locked turning it CCW, remove the rams, remove the 6 mounting nuts, pull rearward.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You could also fit a piece of plywood over the drive opening using the 6 studs and nuts in case there are any critters living underground.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yes, you need a bellhousing/outdrive gasket set 27 94996 Q2 and a couple of new drain screw gaskets 18-2945-9 (Sierra). A little bellows adhesive is also handy to hold the large rubber ring in place in the bellhousing and the "O" water inlet ring in place during reassembly. If you have the time do a search here for "outdrive stands". If you have the time to put one together they make removal storage and reassembly WAY easier.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I remove mine every winter and store in my heated garage. This allows me time to drain the OD and refill, also check u-joints. In the spring,I do a quick realignment before reinstalling the OD and a thorough greasing of all fittings. Coming off is very easy, installing can be a little tricky but not that hard. I am 66yrs and I can do it by myself. Do make a stand for the OD, makes installing much easier. Also coat the nose of the OD and all mating surfaces with grease before installing back together, makes taking it apart much easier in the fall.

NHGuy

Captain
Yes to the above. Now next thing to do is research how to prep the drive for paint. The correct primer is quite toxic. So do your best to avoid going through the existing paint. And wear a gloves and a resipirator while you sand. Use wet sandpaper if the finish is good enough for less aggressive sandpaper. Water will keep the toxins out of the air and your lungs.

boatman37

Lieutenant
thanks guys. watched the videos. looks pretty easy except a few little intricacies that i have a good chance of screwing up when it comes to the impeller change. do you think it would need changed (or should be changed)? with only about 20 hours on it and 1.5 seasons but it sat last winter and would sit again this winter. not concerned with spending the money, more with 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' kinda thing. works well now and never goes over 160* so i hate to screw something up

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Impeller change is not based on hours of use, it's on age. And infact the less use the worse. At 1.5 years and only 20 hours, you need to at the very least, inspect it thoroughly. And in order to inspect it, you need to remove it. Why bother inspecting when and extra $20 you drop a new one in. :)

Chris........

boatman37

Lieutenant
agreed. if i'm going to inspect it then i will be replacing it. just wasn't sure i needed to inspect it with such little use and having no temp issues. i'm sure my next thread will be full of questions on impeller changes...lol

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
It is waaaay easier to remove a drive than it is to put it back on.If drive has not been removed last season and you just ran another season you should 100% remove it to inspect ujoints ,grease them and the shaft splines,check gimbal bearing etc.

boatman37

Lieutenant
thanks charlie. gimble bearing was replaced same time bellows and impeller were done (july 2015) but i will check all that too

achris

agreed. if i'm going to inspect it then i will be replacing it. just wasn't sure i needed to inspect it with such little use and having no temp issues. i'm sure my next thread will be full of questions on impeller changes...lol

My videos.PNG

achris

.. an impact wrench!

Not needed, or a good idea. :facepalm:
But you are probably meaning an air-driven rattle gun.... You'd save about 20 seconds. Not worth it. Even with commentary I can do it in 3 minutes.

Chris.........