About Knock Sensors

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 1994 454 Mercruiser has a knock sensor on it. What do they do and how do they operate?

alldodge

Staff member
If the module senses a knock it will retard timing, being a 1994 and a knock sensor means you should have a TB5. Once the knock is gone it will advance timing

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
does disconnecting the knock sensor have any effect on performance or the main ignition module?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
the t-bolt V:
Another module piggy-backs onto the ICM. It is called ?knock module? After the engine is up to temp, the knock module will advance the timing and look for the RPM to increase. Then it does it again and again until it hears engine knock and backs off the timing. This is done using a knock sensor on the starboard side of the engine. This timing is the most efficient way to run the engine for power and MPG.

alldodge

Staff member
Why would anyone run disconnected?

IMO you don't run it disconnected unless for a quick test. My comment was just what happens if you do disconnect it on a TB ignition.

If it was a MEFI-3 or higher then the ECM checks to make sure the sensor is working when the boat is first throttled up. If it does not detect the sensor knock then a code 44 is set and timing is retarded thereby reducing power

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you run it disconnected the ECM will see it's not there and go into limp mode, it sets the timing at a predetermined position and will limit the maximum RPM to help prevent damage but still allow the engine to provide some power to get you moving back to a repair shop/dock. Works the same as in a vehicle.

Pete104

Lieutenant
IMO you don't run it disconnected unless for a quick test. My comment was just what happens if you do disconnect it on a TB ignition.

If it was a MEFI-3 or higher then the ECM checks to make sure the sensor is working when the boat is first throttled up. If it does not detect the sensor knock then a code 44 is set and timing is retarded thereby reducing power

I was responding to the OP question. And stick to that response.
What could you possibly test by disconnecting a knock sensor?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
My 1994 454 Mercruiser has a knock sensor on it. What do they do and how do they operate?

A knock sensor is basically a piezo crystal cut to resonate at the same frequency as an engine knock (detonation). When the crystal resonates it produces a voltage, exactly the same as the transducer on your depth sounder. That voltage is feed to the ignition module which will retard the timing until the knocking stops. The function of the knock sensor is to allow the ignition module to retard timing to protect the engine from damaging effects of poor fuel, and/or advance the timing for the best possible performance and fuel economy.

HTH,

Chris......