1981 Mercruiser 3.7L Shift Cable Problems After Impeller Change

ranger-man31

Recruit
Howdy iBoats folks! I've recently replaced my impeller in the lower unit on my Mercruiser 470 / 3.7L motor on my Ranger. I've got it to go in Forward or Reverse, but not both. My buddy and I spent 3 or so hours on it today and began wondering if the shift cables need adjusted? I do have a manual for it, but I cannot locate it to save myself right now. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks again everyone :)

ranger-man31

Recruit
Thank you for your input. Yes, it worked perfectly fine before. Kind of why I'm scratching my head still 😕

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
most times ,if only dropping the lower unit the splined shaft is not lined up correctly with the brass shoe

ranger-man31

Recruit
We checked and rechecked the splined shaft, had the prop counterclockwise, locked, with a bungee cord after we had it aligned with the gears on the upper part of the drive shaft. My buddy is very insistent that it's possibly the cable adjustment? I know that doesn't sound like the problem, but I'm assuming there is a step by step process for adjusting the cables inside the engine compartment? It's an 1981 and has sat on and off a good majority of its life. I'm just trying to restore it to good working order so I can get out and enjoy it again. Thanks again for all the help and input, it's greatly appreciated!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
With the lower splined shift shaft turned fully clockwise the prop should lock turning it CCW This is locked in FWD gear. when assembled the brass shoe should be facing in a straight line, this is FWD gear.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Did you remove the entire outdrive? Does the control handle move freely from forward to reverse? If so it may be that the shift slide at the end of the cable Is not capturing the roller on the underside of the upper shift shaft lever.

ranger-man31

Recruit
Thank you all for your input! I'm sorry I haven't been on for awhile, life has been hectic and I haven't had a chance to revisit my boat since I posted this. I will sure let you know more when I do! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.