How to remove a gear housing drive shaft?

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
My first time ever seeing such a thing I need to verify I am doing this correctly. First thing I verified I have the proper ratio, Which is 1-84-1, It has 17/19 teeth.

I have an extra outdrive and attempted to remove the gear housing drive shaft from it. I have it apart but can not pull it out. Any help here? I need it to check the pre load on the upper drive shaft bearing so I can begin and finish my outdrive job!!

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wrong drive. I need the drive shaft in the lower unit removed so I can use it to check the preload on the upper, driven shaft bearing.
I have everything off including the water impeller housing. I have the prop off, I would have to take it someplace to remove the prop shaft. I guess I will have to remove the prop shaft, then there is a nut holding a gear on, then I can pull it out?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you mean the vert shaft in the upper you can also use the "old way" of checking preload. Wrap a string around the shaft and use a oz. scale pulling on the string.

alldodge

Staff member
OK my bad, You can remove the retaining nut with a drill instead of using the special tool. The carrier bearing removal depends on if you have early or later style.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

Slide5.JPG

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, I took it to my mechanic, nothing would allow us to remove the bearing retainer, had to drill it and brake it, pulled the rest out with a puller and wallah, got my shaft out. Now for the fun, start off measuring the rolling torque on the upper bearing! Hopefully the shims will come in tomorrow

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, the rolling reading is 2 inch lbs. I did replace the bearing so I guess it needs some shims!