No reverse after repairs

roy penn

Cadet
my alpha 1 gen 2 was removed and separated for repairs. Removed shift shaft busing and replaced with new. Removed and reinserted shift shaft. replaced various seals. Replaced impeller. Connected upper and lower unit, filled with gear oil. Installed on boat and now have no reverse. removed checked position of everything and same results. Could I have messed up when I re-inserted the shift shaft into the bushing. How do I confirm and find problem.

alldodge

Staff member
Could I have messed up when I re-inserted the shift shaft into the bushing.

It's possible, You can install the foot 180 degrees out. The screw is removed and shaft removed, and can be installed backwards. It should face toward the drive and not toward the boat

transom1.jpg

roy penn

Cadet
Thanks for response All Dodge. Sorry I did not make myself clear. I removed the shift shaft in the lower unit as well as the shift shaft bushing. The new bushing came with seals and gaskets all put together as a unit. After installation I pushed the shift shaft downward into the lower unit but did not know I had to be sure it was in forward gear so as to couple properly. I need to know how to do that.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Turn the lower shaft fully clockwise untill it stops, the prop shaft should be locked CCW. the shift arm must be facing in a straight line in fwd gear.
If not, remove the bolts CAREFULLY lift up the rod about a 1/2 inch, set it straight, and reinsert it.CAREFULLY, install bolts

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
It could be that the roller on the underside of the upper shift shaft lever is not captured by the shift slide on the end of the shift cable.

roy penn

Cadet
It's a new gorgeous, hot day on lake Conroe. Heading out now with advise given above to remove outdrive. Will separate the two components and re-set the shaft as advised. I'll let you guys know, thanks for responding. They say third time is charm!!

roy penn

Cadet
Regards no reverse: Now things are worse. Attempted to follow directions as regards raising shift shaft 1/2 inch and after i did so tried to adjust. Had lower unit in forward with bungee holding in place. Re-installed unit to boat which was in forward gear at dash. Ended up with gear shift not able to drop to neutral nor reverse. Is there a way to know you have it in forward and when you moved the shift shaft you feel reverse or forward before install?? Now I have the outdrive o the boat but unable to drop it out into any other position. Obviously I did the initial work in error. Still would greatly appreciate further instructions. Also how do I post specifically to one individual. I am not too good at this. Thanks everyone.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK, gen II, if you turn the lower shift shaft all the way clockwise, and it points strength ahead and the prop locks when you turn it counterclockwise you are in forward and the shift shaft is in the correct position. So if you can move the control handle freely from forward to reverse, then your problem is probably the roller on the underside of the upper shift shaft lever is not between the two little arms of the shift slide. The shift slide is in front of the roller, so when you shift to F it pushes the lever turning it clockwise, but since the roller is not captured by the slide, when you shift to reverse the slide moves forward without moving the shift shaft lever. Need to slide the drive back and check it.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
+1 on stony's post.

other possibility is the unit was placed in reverse by mistake. WIth the the shift linkage pointing forward (shifter turned as far Clockwise as it will go), the prop will lock when turning CounterClockWise. When you have it right, straight forward on the linkage will make the prop lock into gear CCW. Turn the shift shaft CCW to neutral and then a little further into reverse and the prop locks into gear when turned ClockWise.

roy penn

Cadet
Finally able to connect lower to upper and outdrive to boat. After adjusting shift cable a bit I now have forward and reverse. The adjustment has made the shift into and out of gear a little stiffer but I think acceptable. Thanks to those who responded with great advice, I hope to be on the lake soon. Just posted a new thread dealing with a rough running engine which is keeping me in "Dry Dock"