94 crownline wont turn right

CRL85

Cadet
I have a 94 crownline 225 CCR and I have a problem with the steering wheel not turning while boat is running down the water. I assumed the cable was bad so I replaced it but didn't fix problem. What has me stumped is that the steering turns so easily while boat is at idle or even turned off. Any suggestions?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
???

Are you saying you cannot turn the helm at all when under way? That must make for some interesting boating! ;)

Seriously, if it doesn't turn at all then I cannot imagine what that would be. If it is hard to turn, you might check your zinc by the prop if you have manual steering.

In fact, give us a little more info on the steering system you currently have and more detail on the problem.

Oh yeah - welcome aboard!

CRL85

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome! Correct the helm will not turn at all when under way. Only at a slow idle speed. This is my first boat so I'm not sure what the correct term is goth e steering but it is kinda like rack and pinion. I do have a power steering pump so I am guessing it's like a power assist.

CRL85

Cadet
I know it was full of fuid earlier in the season but I can't remember if I have checked it since I have been having this issue. I will double check as soon as I get home from work.

CRL85

Cadet
If that was the case would I not have the same problem at idle with the engine running?

CRL85

Cadet
Ok so I just got home and checked the fluid level and it was bone dry. I have to admit I feel kinda stupid now. Haha

CRL85

Cadet
Ok so I just got home and checked the fluid level and it was bone dry. I have to admit I feel kinda stupid now. Haha

alldodge

Staff member
Use Dexron II or equivalent trans fluid. Then need to find the leak first. It being dry, it could also be your PS unit is damaged

CRL85

Cadet
Thanks for the help. I went and got some atf. Guess I'll mess with it tomorrow after work and see if I can tell where it's leaking. I'm sure it won't be easy or cheap. Nothing on this boat ever is.

alldodge

Staff member
If you do need to replace the pump, you can get an automotive one, just keep the original pressure fitting.

CRL85

Cadet
I put fluid in the pump last night to track down my leak. I found it was one of the hoses leaking, so I took it off to have a new one made today. Is there just that much torque on the lower unit to to where the helm won't turn to the right under way, or what's the difference there? Cause it's a one finger turn on the wheel at idle with that new cable on there.

alldodge

Staff member
There is a lot of torque on the steering from the motor, but in most cases it will turn to starboard and be a bear to port. If yours cannot turn either direction you may have other issues

NHGuy

Captain
Yes, I tried without the belt once just to see on my 19 footer. On a low plane it took both hands to stay straight. Wanted to go one way. I assume to port.
Those lines are on pretty tight, you will need line wrenches to loosen and reconnect them. Regular wrenches will round off the flats on the fittings. Cheap Harbor Freight (SAE not metric) line wrenches are fine for that.
Once you have the line replaced put some fluid in the reservoir and without starting the engine run the steering back and forth a number of times. Check the fluid every so often and keep it to the proper level. You will probably need 1 or 2 quarts. When it stops taking fluid you can start the engine. Turn the steering both ways with the engine running too, although I'd be careful if doing that on muffs. It would be bad to drop your muffs and ruin the impeller. So in the water is better.
There may be some whining until the air is out of the fluid. that's normal.
If it doesn't go straight after that let us know. There is a balance adjustment on the power assist that can be centered.

CRL85

Cadet
Ok that makes sense. I was worried I had a binding issue going on. I don't need anymore problems out of this beast right now. I have been finding out over the past year why I got such a good deal on the boat.