1986 260 - removing heat exchanger

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
My boat has a heat exchanger. I boat only in fresh water. The heat exchanger looks original, I've heard these last 12 years. My boat is over heating, impeller is new, so I am thinking about just taking the exchanger out. Us this hard to do? Yes I will be testing other areas but would like to know how to take the exchanger out first, and make this engine lake cooled. Thanks for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the end caps off the heat exchanger and clean it out. most likely the chamber that raw water first enters has a lot of debris. you should be pulling the end caps every fall.

they can last over 50+ years in fresh water, not sure where you got the 12 years from.

yes, you can remove it. however you will need to replumb your motor (different thermostat, thermostat housing, and different plumbing routing.)

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
I will pull the end caps on it, I know enough about boats to get myself in trouble, so when I pull the end caps do they have gaskets that will need to be replaced when reinstalling?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the endcap gaskets are rubber. so 90% of the time, you do not need new gaskets.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
I wont need to take the whole exchanger out will? When the end caps are taken off should I have a bucket close by for water/coolant?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
When you take the end caps off, only seawater will come out. The antifreeze is sealed inside.