spark plug removal on 4.3 mercruiser

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Went to do a basic tune up this morning and must have spent an hour, at least, just getting #1 plug removed on my 96' Glastron. What a PITA! Took about an hour to do the other 5 plugs. There's a water hose and elbow right in front of the plug that made using a spark plug socket near impossible. Finally decided to search online for some sort of special socket or wrench. That led to cutting down a stock length socket enough to make it work. I cut off about half the depth of the hex that you put the extension in and then used a grinder to trim the spark plug end down. All total I reduced the socket length by about 5/16". That did the trick. Whew!
Jcris

alldodge

Staff member
Glad you got it, but sometimes the best way to get at something is to remove what is in the way first.

Example, to replace my impeller, I have to remove the alternator and fuel filter housing

Pete104

Lieutenant
You probably have something other than factory manifolds on that engine. Aftermarket back then were cast really fat.

Pete104

Lieutenant
Glad you got it, but sometimes the best way to get at something is to remove what is in the way first.

Example, to replace my impeller, I have to remove the alternator and fuel filter housing

I totally agree! And people say "why did it take 5hrs to change my water pump AND go find the pieces of the old". PITA:mad-new:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
DSCN2633_zpsesckld5q.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yep, mercruiser has a special socket requirement as Bt Doc shows. mine is a harbor freight socket that looks like a mad beaver with a 4.5" grinder went at it.

to get to the oil filter in my last boat, I had to remove the batteries, lay a pillow on top the motor, lay on the motor with my head in the bilge between the motor and other boat structure.

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Had a set of race car headers that required a socket to be modified to this extent. Plug stuck through the end and required using a wrench on socket hex.

Attachments

• photo251333.jpg
    photo251333.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Now laying the pillow on top of the motor is a damn fine idea. After I finally got things buttoned up I noticed a nice red blotch across my chest where I'd been laying on the motor. I thought for a moment about removing the alternator but dreaded the reinstall. When I went to check timing I had a bear of a time getting the hold down bolt on the distributor loose. I used to have a special tool just for that purpose, a nice angled box end , but of course it was nowhere to be found. Turns out I had several "extra" 9/16" box ends, so I just heated it and bent it. Now I have a custom distributor wrench and spark plug socket. This motor is 20 years old and I'm bettin timing had never been checked. Plugs looked original too. Well anyway thanks!
Jcris

JoLin

Vice Admiral
to get to the oil filter in my last boat, I had to remove the batteries, lay a pillow on top the motor, lay on the motor with my head in the bilge between the motor and other boat structure.

Got any pics? :) Been lucky on that score. Current boat has remote filters.

Last year I replaced every cooling hose on my starboard engine (port engine is new). Amazingly tough job. This year it was all new bellows and such on the 2 outdrives. I experienced firsthand 'the water hose that can make a grown man cry.' Damned near came to that- twice!

Next major project is to remove the PS ram assembly from the transom to find out where it's leaking. I've spent an hour or so in the bilge trying to strategize my attack. So far, I've got nothin. I'll just have to tear into it and hope for the best.