1997 4.3GL Timing

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys. I pulled it apart to find my water in oil problem on a new-to-me boat and found that my intake manifold was cracked out from lack of winterization, I assume. Now I have a new manifold and new gaskets all the way around.

My problem is that I have never done timing before so I'm not sure what ignition system I have or what order to go in.

I have my #1 piston TDC but don't really know where to go from here.

Thanks in advance guys.

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you sure all that cracked was just the intake?? If it wasnt winterized at all, could potentially have a cracked block, exhaust manifold... Not trying to be a downer, just speaking from experience.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is a volvo penta but I figured it would see more traffic over here. Thank you for the link. I will take a look.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think Marinemechanic.com is off line right now.

alldodge

Staff member
You might see more traffic over here in the Merc section but most the folks here won't mess with a VP. You have more then one post here now

GA_Boater might move them for ya

I'll try and help but have to go looking around in my VP stuff to see what I can find, will be back

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It is a volvo penta but I figured it would see more traffic over here. Thank you for the link. I will take a look.

Please don't start topics in other areas. Mercruiser and V-P are not the the same. If you don't use the V-P section of the forum, how much help can you expect?

Your other thread has been moved to V-P also.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if yours is a GL-A, B or C. In any case I think you should have the Delco EST distributor.
https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744270-28-6930.aspx

With that, I don't know if there is a base timing mode to be used to set timing. Maybe muc or bruceb58 can advise
1997 could be an LK or an NC model. In either case, there is a Delco EST distributor on there and you need to put it into base timing mode with a shunt. Instructions are in the service manual.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
My fault guys. Didn't know that I couldn't do that or that there was that much of a difference between the two. I was under the impression that the only difference was the paint color. I'll keep it in the VP section.

Thank yall for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
1997 could be an LK or an NC model. In either case, there is a Delco EST distributor on there and you need to put it into base timing mode with a shunt. Instructions are in the service manual.

Yessir it is an LK model. I set it manually and it's running really well but I'll get my hands on a shunt and a comprehensive service manual.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yessir it is an LK model. I set it manually and it's running really well but I'll get my hands on a shunt and a comprehensive service manual.
I probably wouldn't run it until it is timed properly.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank yall for the suggestions and sources. I really appreciate yall's time.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I ordered the shunt today. hopefully by this weekend Ill have her ready to go. Ill follow the video and get her where she needs to be.