Mercruiser 1992 V6 engine problems - suspect electrical

jamesdgreen2016

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1992 Sea Ray with a V6 Mercruiser inboard engine on there. It's been largely rebuilt with a lot of new parts but I don't know exactly which ones. The problem WAS: take boat out, runs great for an hour, casual boating - some booting around at top speed and some slow cruising, some tubing, whatever. Runs great. Then after about an hour if you try and go top speed started popping or backfiring through the carb and lost power, but if you slowed it down it would still cruise alone just slowly. Then if you did this for about 15 minutes more it would die (like running out of gas only there was still gas). Stall. Then no start condition for a while. I didnt try and start it again until the next morning when it fired back up and ran great for an hour again and then started popping and backfiring through the carb and losing power at high speed. I didnt wait around for it to stall out but I assume it would have come next. Then we took boat out a few more days and the same thing - rock and roll for an hour then popping backfire through carb and loss of power. Reliably every time after 60 min of good boating at all speeds the problem would occur. Never before. Very reliable.

So I came on here and a few other sites and found people had similar things happen with their boats and discovered it was the ignition coil and / or the ignition module overheating and malfunctioning causing all those symptoms. SO I replaced the ignition coil because it was cheaper.

Then we went out twice for about an hour and no popping or backfiring or anything. It was beautiful. Of course I sort of felt like if I started pushing it after the hour we were out the problem might still resurface.

Then the 3rd time we went out we were out for an hour without a problem. We stopped the boat in the middle of the lake and sat there for a while, then tried to start it back up - no start. Waiting ten minutes and tried again - put throttle all the way down thinking maybe it was flooded or something and it managed to start up so we drove in.
This time we let the boat sit for half an hour then we went back out.

Did some tubing (pushed the engine a bit) and it started LOSING SOME POWER but not like before, less than before the ignition coil was changed - and NO POPPING OR BACKFIRING THROUGH THE CARB ANYMORE.

Just loss of some power but still fast enough to tube, and zero popping sounds or backfires.
SO THERE WAS IMPROVEMENT BY CHANGING THE IGNITION COIL it seems.
I had like 5 kids tube in a row there and had cut the engine like 4 times during the last half hour to let each on board with no problem starting. But on that last kids tubing run I was noticing the loss of power issue a bit more even though again it wasnt as before where I couldnt make the boat go fast, it was just having a harder time than it had been when we got started tubing. Anyway after that last kid got on the boat - NO START.
So we figured it needed to cool off and we let the kids swim and sit around for 20 or 30 min and then I managed to get the engine started again like I had earlier.
Note: The engine does not appear to be overheating.

After we got it started we drove (fast again, it seemed to get power back) in to shore and I havent boated since (will be tomorrow). When we got to shore, I was able to cut the engine and restart it 5 times in a row with no problem. And with he muffs in the driveway I have been able to cut and restart it no problem a bunch of times today.

MAIN QUESTION: Given that the ignition coil replacement solved the backfire popping through the carb thing, apparently solved the stalling out of the blue while cruising thing, and apparently resulted in less loss of power when the loss of power thing does occur, is it reasonable to conclude the rest of the fix is to swap that Thunderbolt IV ignition module out for a new one, or is that too much of a leap?

FOLLOW UP QUESTION: Unrelated but why not ask now - when I make a really sharp turn at slow speeds in this boat I notice a (not loud or bad sounding but audible) sound that I could describe as a clicking slight grind in time with the prop spinning. Like rhythmic. It is silent when not turned to the max on left or right, but then you can hear it when making sharp turns. Ive read u joints perhaps? Is this something I can let wait until next season and anybody know what type of cost its gonna be? Or if its a problem I need to deal with?

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy James

Yours is sounding like a classic example of the fuel tank is drawing a vacuum. The vacuum happens because the vent line fitting or the vent line coming from the gas cap is clogged. The issue is air should be allowed to come into the tank as fuel is drawn out. The issue is with the vent line clogged, no air comes in (or very little) and a vacuum happens inside the fuel tank.

Next time your out and you start looing power, stop and open the fuel cap and listen for air rushing in. If this happens, then you found the problem. If not come back and let us know.

As for the clicking, this is probably the U-joints in the drive shaft. A little click in hard turns can be a bit normal but most times its not there. Pull the drive off and check the smoothness of the gimbal bearing and if there is any slop in the U joints

jamesdgreen2016

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks ill check tomorrow! By the way the time before all the above happened something killed the fuel pump and it was replaced.

jamesdgreen2016

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Today the boat worked great. No problems. Didnt go pushing it looking for any just did our normal top speed round the lake then half speed cruising half hour or so. Then kill engine. Started it to see and it fired right back up. Killed again and anchored for 15 minutes then booted around top speed for another 20 min and came in. Killed and restarted the engine fine. Let it sit a minute and tried to start it again. It seemed to not start but i thought maybe flooded so dropped the throttle all the way down and it started right up again. Removed gas cap after both booting around fast runs to listen for vacuum and there was none. Only things i did to boat between this run and the last time was detatch and reatrach connection to ignition module and tighten some fuel line hose clamps. One or two were a bit loose. Also the small hose in the attached picture next to the gas hose coming out of the tank is cracked. Is this a vent hose? Its old and brittle.

Attachments

• IMG_20160827_143241.jpg
    IMG_20160827_143241.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
That would be the vent line if its not the fuel line. Loose clamps can cause the pump to draw air.

Your previous comments said after so much time it started loosing power. This is the point you need to get to. If your stopping every so often without getting to that point then were working with other variables. I don't see an electrical issue causing a power reduction

fetch

jamesdgreen2016

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does it matter that the small black tube is all brittle and cracked? Is it then venting the gas tank into the space the engine sits in? So tomorrow when we go out again after we are ready to call it a day ill run the boat hard until i see the problem again or until it looks like i cant reproduce it and then report back what the thing sounds like after the gas cap is removed.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The 'small black tube' looks to me like an electrical wiring protective sheath, probably for the fuel sender and gauge wires. Hard to tell whether the thick hose is the tank vent or fuel feed. No way to judge how big the diameter is. Tank vent hose is typically 5/8" I.D., or about 3/4-7/8" outside diameter. The fuel line would be about half that size.

One way to check (you can do it by feel if you need to) is to see if the hose fits inside a 1/2" or 9/16" open end wrench without squeezing it- if it does it's the fuel line.

Last edited:

jamesdgreen2016

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That makes sense ok. So the black tube is the line for gas coming out of the tank to the engine. The brittle smaller tube is a wire sheath and the larger tube on the other side is gas going in to the tank when fueling up. So there should be another tube in addition to those that is venting the tank. Ill take another look tomorrow. Would the vent tube be in the same area or perhaps out of view going out the side of the boat?

jamesdgreen2016

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah the gas fill hose part is there (left side of tank has larger hose running up to outter gas cap fill area). This is a pic of those other two. The hose looks like it takes gas to the engine and the other smaller one houses wires. So there should be another hose for the vent that i havent found yet. I will look again tomorrow to see if i can spot it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160827_195028.jpg
    IMG_20160827_195028.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0

Pete104

Lieutenant
Where ever you located the actual fuel fill, the vent may be built in to that fitting & if not it will be nearby the fill. You may have to pull a speaker or move something screwed down to locate it. Or you might have an inspection plate in the floor that opens to see the top of the tank. There you'll see the fill hose (about 2" OD) the fuel sender is close by. The vent hose & fuel line to the engine. Vent bigger hose (an inch OD) fuel line is smaller by about a quarter inch OD.

The pics you posted are the fuel line to the engine & convoluted tubing for bilge pump wiring (most likely). That BIG hose is circ pump on the engine.

jamesdgreen2016

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well i figured out the tank vent runs to side of boat so thats cleared up. Smells like gas anyway. Today i ran the boat hard and fast for two hours with a few stops but more straight top speed running than it ever took to give us a problem and the boat ran perfectly. No trouble starting the engine at the end either. Safe to say i cant reproduce any problems using anything like the same conditions as before. Only other variable was a month ago when i bought this boat it had a full tank of gas that would have been sitting in it all season without the previous owner using it at all. Ive used the boat enough to have cycled through all that and replaced it with premium gas each time. Otherwise the ignition coil and fuel pump were just replaced and i tightened all the clamps on the various fuel hoses on the engine as some were loose. Ill report back next weekend if i am able to reproduce any of the problems then. Thanks guys!