Setting two shift cables

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
While waiting on more parts I got the shift shaft connected and now moved inside to the remote shifters. It may have been connected wrong. I refer to the shift lever.
My shift lever has 3 holes in it, the bottom one is elongated (slotted) and the instructions say to attach the drive shift cable to it and at the bottom of the slot. (It was in the second hole previously)
The shift cable end guide appears to connect to the top hole on the shift lever in the book and uses a pin & cotter pin. Mine had a threaded bolt in it with threads in side of the hole.
Set up by the book I know have a spare hole (previously used) that is no longer being used.
I'm afraid changing the set up may affect something like the shift cutout switch?
But if I set it up per the book (after I get the outdrive on) everything should work properly??

PS, my new expensive book's binder is braking and pages are wanting to fly!!

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the driver gear shims in, some were rusted and I had to get that off. After several attempts of getting it right, finally success ! It is so pleasing after so much effort. Now to take an old outdrive apart and get that drive shaft, I will check the rolling torque on the driven gear. Hopefully it will be with specs because I have not gotten my shim tool nor my shims in for that part.
Seems to me, that if I put shims in the bottom, that would raise the gear enough to change the drive gear measurements, no ??

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there an order to which gears are measured first, I.E. driven gear first then drive gear? I did the drive gear and added shims to the yoke side. It looks like if the driven gear is not correct, I will have to redo the drive gear measurements and shims? This stuff starts coming together after many times re-reading it. I even found mistakes in the book where it ID's a driven gear shim as a drive gear shim. That kind of thing can confuse one when they first start reading this stuff.
I assume the drive bearings need to be out to measure the rolling torque on the drive shaft??

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do have the # 6 manual. I read and re-read it. I also down loaded the one on the computer.There is a lot of information and to put it all together for me is not easy. Then the shims do not have any #'s on them so I have to guess which ones to use.
So I need to start over with measuring and doing the shims, per order in the book?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Then the shims do not have any #'s on them so I have to guess which ones to use.

You need to know how to rebuild a drive before you rebuild the drive. You need the shimming tools, the long feeler gauges and a accurate micrometer to measure the shim `s that are used to set the correct spacing.

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have to work with what I have. I have the shim tool (waiting for the other one to come in) that is why I started working with the one that came in first (Drive gear) check. Looks like I should use the same sequence as the book uses.