Alpha 1 Gen 1 Overheating

wmdecker

Recruit
I want to thank everyone from contributing to the forum. I feel I have something to offer and would like feedback. So my drive is in the subject and I am running a 3.0 LX. Bellows and pump were done a couple of years back and recently it started to run hot. So first thought was time for a new sea pump etc. as water was not flowing out of the intake tube at a good rate. After doing everything it turns out the the 3/4" hose that goes from the gimbal to the transom in the full down position, restricting flow. Given when the drive is down why not place a 90 degree elbow where the line naturally bends...

My guess is the hose I received in the Seria kit when I did the bellows was a bit to long and over time it collapsed at the bend point.

Just something to look at when chasing a hot running boat. It was not my first place when I started but it will be now...

NHGuy

Captain
Those hoses are a very specific length and material. If it kinked it was either cut wrong or twisted or not all the way "home" onto the barbs.
If you have completed the repair check it at all angles to be sure it does not collapse or pull off.
And if you haven't reinstalled it be sure to run a clog buster of some sort through the fitting that passes through the transom housing. Maybe some kind of bendy plastic, or compressed air or pressurized water.

wmdecker

Recruit
I understand, and its a quality Goodyear hose but it was not preformed. I have hoses on my BMW that are molded and I can see the need for a 90 degree elbow, I am not sure what the OEM looks like but this kit had a straight length and was fully seated. I am going to install a PVC 90 degree elbow that will sit against the transom and will allow water to flow and the tube will move with the drive. I hooked a hose to the gimbal and with the drive up, hose fully extended water flowed fine to the thermostat housing. Put the gimbal down and the the restriction began. In the end I agree with your assessment, I just offer this because Sierra kits are prolific and it worked for 2 years. If someone knows if the OEM hose is molded I think it might be a good bit of information to get out there.

Thanks!

Bill

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... All the hoses are straight hose, not preformed,....

If installed correctly, it won't crimp over,....

If there's twist in the hose, it'll fold over,....

You shouldn't need, nor use any extra fittin's,....

wmdecker

Recruit
Thank you for the feedback. I was very deliberate when I installed this hose on the bellows rebuild. That being said I could have had a small twist in it given how tight the work space is. I see an opportunity for improvement, like a stainless steal spring to insure the hose stays conformed. I chased this problem down and was surprised by it and wanted to share me experience.