Trim Limit adjustment issue on 1988 Alpha One

utskicat

Seaman Apprentice
I have followed the instructions in service manual 6, on page 4A-12 to properly adjust my newly installed Trim Limit switch. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I align the switch with the mark, install it on the gimbal ring while fully down. I trim up until it stops. I have about 1.5 inches left of the drive in the gimbal housing guides. I measure the distance of the rams and they are exactly 23.75". They should be 21.75 according to the manual. If I adjust the TL switch counter-clockwise, the distance just gets greater. I have no ability to adjust it smaller. The sticker on the side of my rams says Trim XD. Do I have a different ram than the manual is referring to? Help!!

tpenfield

Staff member
I would try installing the TL switch a notch or two the other way as it slides into the pivot bolt in order to give yourself some adjustment the other way. It shouldn't take much to gain back the 2" of ram travel needed to get to the 21-3/4" spec.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I would try installing the TL switch a notch or two the other way as it slides into the pivot bolt in order to give yourself some adjustment the other way. It shouldn't take much to gain back the 2" of ram travel needed to get to the 21-3/4" spec.

Yes. I had a similar issue on BOTH my drives when I installed new switches. I was never able to get mine precisely to spec. After a lot in finagling (doing what Ted recommended) I got them to the point where the ram shafts extend to a point 1/2" less than the maximum in the specs. One notch more, and they'd extend too far. The switch is there to protect the gimbal bearing from the strain of raising the drives too high, so I decided I was fine with a little less extension.

My .02

Last edited: