Mercruiser 3.0l 2006 Bayliner 185 BR

Gallen47

Cadet
I am having trouble with my boat. When cruising the boat runs great and most other times, but if I pull the throttle up to stop when zooming down the lake the engine sputters and dies. Starts back no problem. Other times the engine idles fine. I appreciate all thoughts and thanks in advance for your reply.

G

alldodge

Staff member
Is this a TKS carb or MPI?
When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?
Have you looked at the plugs?

If its a carb might just need cleaning

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if its carb'd, the accelerator pump may need attention (replacing)

Gallen47

Cadet
Thanks for the replies, I apologize for not responding sooner. It is a carb TKS.
Plugs are new.
Have never replace fuel filter. Will get one.
Engine was rebuilt but not the car. Runs good other wise.

How could the lower shift cable affect anything?

Thanks

Rick Stephens

Admiral
A sticky/worn lower shift cable will cause the shift interrupt switch to kill the motor coming out of gear. That switch is activated when you shift into neutral. It's purpose is to momentarily kill the ignition causing enough of a rpm loss to allow the gears to undog. A worn cable will kill your motor for trying to shift out of gear.

Gallen47

Cadet
Thanks Rick could it be possible that it is not adjusted properly? I will have a look at it..........

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Thanks Rick could it be possible that it is not adjusted properly? I will have a look at it..........

Usually not an adjustment, but a normal wear issue. If the lower shift cable is causing this, then often you can see the interrupt switch moving even when not in the water when shifting out of gear. You might read this page on how the interrupt works. It can help you diagnose what might be happening.

Rick