Bad Coupler ??

Combo

Recruit
How do you tell if coupler is good when in boat and outdrive is off.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
How do you know his couplers bad? The coupler shouldn't have pointy splines, which would indicate wear (though it still may work). If it's blown and the outdrive is on, you can look at the driveshaft with the motor running. The shaft won't turn with a blown coupler. Maybe post the specific issue you're having...

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Often, with the drive out, you can use a good flashlight shined through the gimbal bearing and SEE a separation and melting of the rubber around the splined inner core. It usually is pretty obvious.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
How do you tell if coupler is good when in boat and outdrive is off.
Nola - his post was originally had more info - I don't know where that info went. He basically had a burning rubber smell and rubber chunks in the bilge - this is usually a sure sign

Bondo

Staff member
Nola - his post was originally had more info - I don't know where that info went. He basically had a burning rubber smell and rubber chunks in the bilge - this is usually a sure sign

Naw,... That's 'is 1st post,...

Combo hi-jacked an antique thread, 'n I moved his post, 'n yer reply here,....

You, obviously were replin' to a poster above his post in that antique thread,....

That's the Reason iboats has the 90 day rule,....

If I hadn't moved yer reply with his post, the antique thread wouldn't have sunk back into the deep archives,....

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Naw,... That's 'is 1st post,...

Combo hi-jacked an antique thread, 'n I moved his post, 'n yer reply here,....

You, obviously were replin' to a poster above his post in that antique thread,....

That's the Reason iboats has the 90 day rule,....

If I hadn't moved yer reply with his post, the antique thread wouldn't have sunk back into the deep archives,....

Oops sorry bondo - guess I'm getting old didn't catch that - sorry again -

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... No harm, no foul, no sorry necessary,....

Combo's got 'is thread, 'n I bet you look at dates,'n who said what, more often now,.... ;)