Lots of bogging before 3000rpm - Please help!

itchyfishnv

Seaman
Yeah, I guess so. If that doesn't fix it, the only other thing I can think of would be the manifold? I bought the replacement for my year, all the ports match up exactly to the OEM merc one that was on there. The one I purchased is a Barr.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
You still need to address your compression numbers. They are low. At least this winter you should get that engine pulled and worked on. Just my .02

itchyfishnv

Seaman
You still need to address your compression numbers. They are low. At least this winter you should get that engine pulled and worked on. Just my .02
Yeah that's the plan, at this point I'm most likely going to pull it out before the winter and buy a new 3.0 come spring time. If I can do it for under 3 grand, i'll be happy. I'm planning on using some parts from my current setup such as the new manifold and riser.

NHGuy

Captain
If it is still assembled do a carb and intake leak test. While the engine is running and with a fire extinguisher handy you spray some carb cleaner in the following spots.
Just little bursts by the way.
Carb pivot shaft holes. Where the choke pivots and where the throttle pivots. They can leak air.
Carburetor base where it bolts to the intake manifold. This spot is suspect since you say the gasket looks different.
I don't know the 3.0 configuration but if there is access to the interface between the intake manifold and the head, spray there too.

You spray the fuel and listen for a change in how the engine runs, if there is a leak it will probably pick up speed.
If you have a leak and repair it it your poor running could either improve or be corrected.
But those engine compression numbers are pretty poor.

itchyfishnv

Seaman
I'm totally an idiot... turns out I didn't plug one of the holes on the new manifold below the carb which was obviously causing a leak. Plugged it, re-timed it. Runs normal as ever. But yeah, a rebuild is def in order. The price of a rebuild is about the same cost as a new base motor, but the motors don't appear to be Mercruiser they all state "sourced from the same factory mercruiser sources their motors from". To me, thats a little sketchy. I wouldn't trust myself to rebuild it myself.

So hopefully someone can learn from my stupid mistakes :)

NHGuy

Captain
I'm glad you found the issue, good!
Now on the rebuild. Find out who in your area can be trusted and tell them you want to give it to them for the winter, you want it ready by Feb or March!

itchyfishnv

Seaman
Anyone you can recommend in the NE area? I'm in Worcester, MA.

So you think rebuilding is a better option than just purchasing a new base since they're not mercruiser stamped?

itchyfishnv

Seaman
I'm gonna pass on that one. I buy my parts from there, but from what I heard not exactly the best service dept...