Merc 165 not starting

Jericho45657

Recruit
I recently obtained a 1976 Starcraft Holiday with a 165 in line 6 (165). Had it out several times without issue. Filled the fuel tank up and added the lead additive and sea foam. It ran like it was missing. Drained fuel, added more without additives and now it won't start. Not even with starting fluid. Where should I start eliminating problems? I'm new to boat motors, but I think I can handle it by myself with a little guidance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when you purchased the boat, you did go thru it and replaced the point, condensor, cap, rotor, wires, raw water pump and fuel filter, along with changing oil and drive lube, correct?

as stonyloam pointed out, check the points.

Jericho45657

Recruit
Supposedly all that had been done and it was winterized. I ran excellent 4 times. After the fill up.it struggled...then didn't start.

ziggy

Admiral
Where should I start eliminating problems?
where Scott Danforth says.
Supposedly all that had been done and it was winterized.
supposedly is the key word there. how do you know it was done. besides. imho i do what SD says every spring prior to start up. granted i don't replace the plug wires or dist. cap every season. but i do inspect them and shine the contacts on the cap with emery cloth. i also go through any grounds i can find and disconnect them + shine them up too. also, another good place to start is a compression test. this lets ya know the general health of the engine. i do this every season too. once in spring and once in fall. that way i know nothing has changed mechanically with the engine since the last time i checked compression.

also, if yer gonna work on your engine and drive. you will have to have a mercruiser service manual (not after market service manual). it tells you how to do things proper. + as a side bonus. it has a trouble shooting guide in it. ya need service manaul #2 for a '76. confirm proper service manual by serial number of your engine.

hogbare35

Seaman
Check the points . If they are burned or stuck I would change to an electronic setup .

harleyman1975

Ensign
Still check points and make sure everything is connected in cap. I once had a brand new Blue Streak condenser fail on me...it happens.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
check your fuel/water separator and fuel filters. I know it sounds like its spark related but it was working good then went south with use/new fuel. running off a fuel can would eliminate clogged or water in fuel. check filter in fuel inlet to carb too.

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man, that's the smoothest engine ever installed in a boat. Figure it out and enjoy. I still miss my old 165. If it won't start with starter fluid. Check the ignition. I converted mine to electronic ignition. But points and condenser work well. Just change 'em every couple of years.

JK