Can anyone confirm this outdrive gasket

bryceman2712

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am trying to confirm my outdrive gasket. My old outdrive shredded the drive gears due to a lack of oil. I know it is an alpha one gen 2. The gasket it calls for is in this picture with 3 holes on one side and 2 on other side (only counting top of gasket) . I also included a pic of my old drive it had a gasket with only 2 holes on each side and was covering a ball bearing looking thing on the outdrive. What is the ball bearing and could the wrong gasket have caused the failure? And should I purchase the gasket with 3 holes on one side or not?

I appreciate any information I'd be lost without iboats!

Attachments

• photo250990.jpg
    photo250990.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo250994.jpg
    photo250994.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member
Ball bearing thingy is the gear lube connection at the bell housing.

The gear lube would be the third hole. Best way to confirm is via part number vs outdrive serial number.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
To my knowledge there's only one gasket for alpha ones out 27-94996T 2 or aftermarket equivalent . Most likely gasket needed to be flipped around to get the side with three holes to line up with the oil passage.

K9Deuce

Seaman Apprentice
Your outdrive pic shows the old gasket was covering your outdrive gear lube filler passage hole which is fed from a outdrive reservoir mounted on the engine. The gasket in the pic appears to be the one your need which when installed correctly will seal around the gear lube filler hole " ball bearing looking thing" and not block it off.

bryceman2712

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So would that have starved the outdrive of fluid and caused the gears to wear in 1.5 hours as they did?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The very early Gen II drives didn't have the oil monitor fitted as standard. The passages were all there, just the valves and stabs weren't installed by the factory. You can use the gasket with the oil passage holes on a drive without the stab, but not the other way around. The 'Gen II' gasket can be used on all drives from R (1982) to current.

Chris.....

bryceman2712

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So mine is a 1992 alpha one generation 2 so I should just go ahead and get the gasket with the oil passageway correct? I am going to my local marina today to see about getting some of the seals I am needing I am hoping there is a kit for the lower portion.

Bondo

Staff member
So mine is a 1992 alpha one generation 2 so I should just go ahead and get the gasket with the oil passageway correct?

Ayuh,.... Correct,....

bryceman2712

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been all over my boat engine bay and I do not have a gear lube container. If I install this gasket correctly am I going to be dripping gear lube? Or is the passageway through the gimbal housing capped off somewhere that I cannot see?I am terrified to get this wrong. Don't know if I can get my wife to break out another thousand on this boat. Lol

Also my old outdrive had a cap with 4 bolts on the very top of it and it has a dip stick for the gear lube. Since I do not have monitor container should I switch these top caps so I have dip stick on new model? I was also told that dip stick hole is to completely fill the outdrive with oil since I do not have a overflow contain to do so? I thought you only need to fill to top vent hole??

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If there is no monitor bottle, then there will be no valve in the bell housing. There should also be no valve in the drive. Go ahead and install the drive. Do NOT swap the top caps. The top bearing outer race is installed in the cap and it is shimmed for the bearing pre-load and gear heights for that drive. Swapping the cap will change the preload on those bearings and will lead to early failure of the drive. The dip stick hole is exactly that, a dipstick, so you can see the correct fill level. With a sealed drive (no monitor bottle) a small air space is needed to allow for heating and cooling (expansion and contraction) of the oil. If the drive were completely filled, when the oil got hot, it would pop seals out. You can only fill the drive completely if there is somewhere for the expanded oil to go, like a monitor bottle.

Chris........

bryceman2712

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for clearing that up for me. Both my old 1992 drive and the rebuilt 1998 drive have a ball in between the two bolt holes but my gimbal housing just has a hole that is dry and nothing inside it for as far as I can see then it travels downward. Does that ball hold the lube in the drive unless a valve is in the gimbal housing to open it up and allow fluid to pass through?