Exhaust bellows alpha 1 gen 1

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Serial number 0D464664. I've been having trouble with my 4.3L LX in a 20' Chaparral getting the power to get my boat on plane. 3200 rpm is it when it finally does get on plane. This is a used boat I have been working on and had fuel line issues from the get go, never really running strong, well except on muffs. My question.....my out drive does not have the exhaust bellows, p/n 18654A1, that connect the bell housing to the lower. Instead it has an open exhaust tube. The parts website I use describes this exhaust tube as the 454 magnum/jackshaft p/n 78458A1. Is it a possibility that this exhaust tube is bogging my engine down. Should I put the bellows on my out drive?

As info I checked/ replaced all the obvious things that are keeping this engine from performing. Before I dig in further, I would appreciate any comments regarding the bellows.

Thank you.

Attachments

• photo250849.png
    photo250849.png
    410.9 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Many folks put the exhaust tube on instead of the boot for a couple reason in most cases. They think the engine will breath easier and produce more power, or its just easier to install, It will not hurt and to install on any motor including yours. It was brought out for big blocks because the small exhaust port is a bit restrictive for them.

Have you been thru the list in the sticks about unable to reach WOT?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yes I have, but really trying to concentrate on fuel. I posted in a different thread compression results. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb. It was polluted with white powder from the fuel pump. Replaced all fuel lines, verified tank p-up. Cleaned the fuel pump getting rid of the aluminum corrosion that was the white powder. Fuel pressure at the carb is a steady 5-1/2 to 6 psi as verified by an in line gauge I installed at WOT. Primaries and secondaries open fully. Top plate, air valve, over secondary does not. So obviously not getting enough fuel to open that plate as not building enough vacuum. I guess I'll take the carb apart again, but getting to the point I may purchase a reman carb. Just trying to eliminate as much as possible. A reman carb is about $235.00. There were so many parts that did not come with the rebuild kit such as the power jet and primary metering needles.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Found one small jet in the primary circuit completely blocked. I tried for about 2 hours to get it free using everything I could think of aside from drilling out the plug in the bottom. Given the age of the carb, and the years of wear on the power jet and needles, I decided to cut my losses, use it as a core and ordered a reman Quadrajet. Waiting for it to arrive.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like you found your issue, hope your up and running shorty