mercruiser carb

i got a 88 bayliner has a 3.0 mercruiser the carb has a small aluminum plug on top of the fuel bowl if i put that plug in my boat wont run if I take it out the boat runs fine why is that cause with it out gas can come out and smells like gas when that plug aint in.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't have a Merc carb view but plugs in a carb are used to close up manufacturing holes. The carb base is fist cast in a mold, then the casting has channels bored into it to pass fuel for the jets and accelerator pump. The channels cannot be bored any other way do to their size.

With your carb not running with the plugs in place my guess would be the channels inside the carb are clogged up. This is a Rochester carb but the Merc works in the same manor.

Roch 2G.JPG

I figured out the problem with the plug the vent for the fuel bowl was clogged that's why I had to have that plug out but now it idles just fine but if I give it gas its like I just turn the ignition off what would cause this and my carb is the rochester a 2 barrel I'm thinking it might be the float but aint sure.

alldodge

Staff member
Either the internal passages are still clogged or the accelerator pump isn't working or adjusted correctly. If you can very slowly increase speed and get it going, then its the accelerator pump or circuit. If not much is working then it could be the carb, float, cleaning or adjustments. The float level makes a big difference on how the carb works.

Carb float Adjust.jpg

I went out today took the carb off completely disassembled it I I blew air into every port on it jets were not clogged all passages were clear gaskets were good I have adjusted the float up and down every time I do take the top off the fuel is just above the jets does that seem right I thought the fuel would cover more of them what should the choke be cause if the choke is not open it want start but once I start it I can close it bout half way and it will take more fuel.

alldodge

Staff member
adjusted the float up and down every time I do take the top off the fuel is just above the jets

This is not good. The fuel should be filling the bowl just under the top. The float is adjusted by flipping the top of the carb upside down and the float being on top. Not real sure which carb you have (never provided number or engine serial number) but look here on how to adjust float drop and level

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Marine-2G-Rebuild--Assembly_ep_441.html

I'm not sure either I just know its a Rochester 2 barrel I just went out to try adjusting the float I have adjusted the tang that move the float up and down but I haven't adjusted the tang under the needle valve but I just broke one of the tangs so I got to get another float as soon as I do i'll adjust the both tangs and let ya know how it goes thanks for the help so far.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Adjusting the float is not a trial and error operation. There is a set height (varies by application) for the float. If you don't know what your doing you can read about it or watch online videos. The carb being set right is pretty important, all the hidden passages being clean is pretty important, all the check balls seating properly is pretty important.

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You should consider a rebuild kit since you are already this far into it. Blowing air through the passages isn't enough, you need to find some thin wire and poke every hole you can find, this will clean off all buildup of crap that has accumulated. Make sure the power piston and power valve are operational, replace the check balls, make sure it is really clean. Then set the float, the kit will come with a cheap measuring device so you can verify heights plus all new gaskets. There are a ton of videos out there that will take you through this task step by step.