Where to tap into a 12v source for electronic points and new coil

Justinweigt

Seaman Apprentice
Good Afternoon,
This weekend I am going to get rid of my points in my 1974 Mercruiser 3.0. I know I have to tap into a 12v source for the new coil. Where should I do this? Starter, Solenoid or alternator? I have pictures, I added at the end of the post. Currently I have two tan wires running to the positive terminal of the coil. Do I just remove them and not use them again or does one wire go somewhere else? The wire diagrams on the internet do not really show what I'm looking for. I am hoping you can help.

Thank you,

Attachments

• photo250278.jpg
    photo250278.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250279.jpg
    photo250279.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250280.jpg
    photo250280.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
None of those places. It must be a switched 12v source. If you have an electric choke you could get 12v from there.
Personally I would keep the points. Not that hard to service.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
You should be able to add a fuel pump relay to provide voltage directly from the battery. Activate the relay with your current ignition wire going to the coil +, and pick up 12v from the hot side of the slave solenoid, or starter. That is how I run my Petronix, that way I am assuring full voltage to the module and coil. Mine is bolted on with one of the valve cover bolts.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Ypu would have to open the wrapping just after the main plug and locate a purple wire.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
You should have a resistance wire going to the coil +. It should only be 18 inches or so long, so just trace it back to its end and you can get your 12v there.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
According to the "old" wiring diagram, you should have 3 wires on the coil +. Tan to the starter solenoid, a white to the alternator a an another ( maybe white) resistance wire.

jaa241

Seaman Apprentice
Has the pertronix unit change anything for you? Have you got connected up? Just wanted to check in, have been away sorry.

Justinweigt

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, it runs smoother, very easy to install. I tapped into the purple ignition wire. Tested my old resistance wire and it was bad.