TKS system ~ Rough idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

constantin

Cadet
HI Guys

does it apply this issue for mercruiser 3.0l 2009 TKS carburetor?
I checked the TKS module with ohm meter and I measured something there but did not check with voltage.
I m happy for you Alexvelarde , finally I see somebody fixing this annoying issue.
Unfortunately it s hard to find good mechanics where I leave so maybe you guys can help me. My boat was serviced by 2 different mechanics and one of them gave up , the other one said it s fixed and actually wasnt.
The symptom is : starts pretty good when cold (IDLING ROUGH BUT IDLING ) running like champ when in speed, after that very rough idle( and stall) . If I try to start it when warm I cannot ( if I use the throttle 1/2 it starts right away).
I checked the electric plugs , distribution etc , the fuel line , carb , jets and the gas.etc.Nothing.
Now guys I saw this TKS topic and I was thinking maybe here is the issue.
It s idling rough most of the time , sometimes for few minutes maybe ok but it s bad in general.\
any advise will be very appreciated

Thanks in advance
Cheers

constantin

Cadet
HI Guys

Is this TKS system related also with a rough idling or even stalling when the engine is warm?
My mercruiser 3.0 l from 2009 start pretty good when cold but idling when warm it s a hard time

thanks

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Moved your posts to a new topic, from where you posted them: TKS issues and another topic about the TKS system

Please don't post to topics that have been inactive for 90+ days. Thanks

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Check the diode in the harness. If the diode is open it will be hard to the engine to start when warm because it is getting to much fuel.

Try this and let us know if this worked
TKS Diode check.jpg

alexvelarde

Seaman
Hey Constantin! I would check the Diode. I thought I had an issue with my TKS, but it was the Diode

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
And if all else fails, remove the security cap and open the idle mix a bit.

constantin

Cadet
thanks Bt Doctur and Alexvelarde
I ll try this today , I cant wait.
You think guys TKS module can affect the iddle randomly? Sometimes it stays no bad in 800-900 but most of thetime is dying. When the engine hot after running great for 1 hr ifyou just turn it off and leave it for 1 minute you cannot turn it on just if you use the throtle at least 1/2.
I just got thetoil for idle mixture screw and i ll try this too.
Thnaks guys for any ideea , as Isaid I decided to try fixing it my self after 1 mechanic gave up, and onether one just trcked me saying that he did something .

constantin

Cadet
I ll add this
After running in speed 1-2 hrs great , if I stop , isiddling nice for a short period of time , after that the hell comes

constantin

Cadet
I checked yesterday
I couldn t find the diode on harness, anyhow..I started the engine and during the rough idling i check on tks module if i have 12 V and I didn't.
If I remove the connector or I put it back I had no difference in idling .
Any clue guys?

thanks

constantin

Cadet
Hi guys

I have hard time idling with my mercruiser 3.0 from 2009!!!
Idle let say fine at cold but whhen warm it s dying
Mechanics are crazy busy and it s hard to get one, hopefuly somebody will come with an advise
Following the advise of few of you I checked the TKS module. First I checked the impedance= 45 ohm , i removed it and when I applied 12 v I can see the plunge moving ahead, so far so good.
Symptoms: starts pretty good when cold, starts very hard when warm( just starts if you use 1/2 throttle ), idling very rough in special when warm.
Today I noticed that hissing , it s gone after a while when 12 v comes on TKS module , but when I hear it it engine is idling( not so good but still) , when the hissing it s gone the engine stalls almost right away.
i m completely lost, any advise will be amazing.
TKS module defective? When that hissing gone, the carb doesn t pull air from that hole ?What can make the engine to stop when hissing is gone?Can be another air passage clogged ?
It dying just when idling , when at speed it s running perfect.
thanks guys for any advise
cheers

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Start your own thread, this one's from 2005.

constantin There two things that make it harder to assist you. One is posting in old threads and the second is starting new threads on the same problem. Both only confuse those trying to help. Please use this thread until the problem is resolved. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Hi guys

I have hard time idling with my mercruiser 3.0 from 2009!!!
Idle let say fine at cold but when warm it s dying

Symptoms: starts pretty good when cold, starts very hard when warm( just starts if you use 1/2 throttle ), idling very rough in special when warm.
Today I noticed that hissing , it s gone after a while when 12 v comes on TKS module , but when I hear it it engine is idling( not so good but still) , when the hissing it s gone the engine stalls almost right away.
i m completely lost, any advise will be amazing.
TKS module defective? When that hissing gone, the carb doesn't pull air from that hole ?What can make the engine to stop when hissing is gone? Can be another air passage clogged ?

The hissing is from the TKS module supplying extra fuel while the motor warms up. Once warm it closes and extra fuel stops.

With your motor dying at idle once warm means your main idle circuit is clogged. Need the carb taken apart and cleaned

constantin

Cadet
Thanks AllDodge for advise, I ll do that . and I ll let anybody know.
Onemore question, what s the position of theTKS module( retracted or extended) when the engine is warm ?

constantin

Cadet
Hi guys
I just checked the TkS module and it looks like it s working.
It s getting 12 v after a while and the hissing it s stupping after a while.
I removed the connctor from TKs and let it run. The motor is idling at 800-900 for ever, when I connect the TKS ( which has 12 v on it already) after few minutes is dying and also the hissing is gone.
I opened the carb the first half from the top and I sprayed some carb cleaner and blow it wiht a compresor.
I noticed the gasket between is broken and some parts left sticky on the other .
Sorry for long story but I want to give all details.
i know that gasket hasto be replaced for sure.
It s direct related to the idling issue when TKS is closed ( extended)?
Somebody said if dying when warm up, the main idle circuit is bolcked... it s anything I can remove and clean?
What is happends if I run the boat with TKS not connected?
Tthank you guys in advance , Finally I understand how is working.
I tried to contact mechanics but all busy , estimation time to fix is 1 month and half and next weekend hopefully I can do boating if you help me to fix it.
Thanks again

alldodge

Staff member
It s direct related to the idling issue when TKS is closed ( extended)?
Somebody said if dying when warm up, the main idle circuit is blocked... it s anything I can remove and clean?

Your carb is clogged up and needs to be removed, taken apart and cleaned.

What is happends if I run the boat with TKS not connected?

My first guess is it will run rich, but could also run lean because the ports are clogged.
Just guessing

constantin

Cadet
Thanks AllDodge
I found finally the issue. For everybody who maybe is interested , I found the TKS module connector half way out ( at the oil pressure senzor).It looks like didn't have a ground stable and TKS was working like scrap. Now the engine starts right away when is warm also.
I did some adjustment on the idle screw and I m ok now, is idling 700-800 like new.
BUT...has to be a BUT... When I turn on the engine I have idle at around 700 ( even in gear) , BUT.. after I run few minutes with speed , when I put in idle again , the RPM is increased with aprox 200 , so it s gonna be 900 RPM. If I stop the engine and leave it a bit , when I start it again will be back to 700 RPM idling.
Also I noticed that when idling high after running speed and I switch off the key , engine keep running for like 10-15 sec ( making weird noise , coughing etc.) and after that stops.
I can leave with that, but if somebody have any advice will be very appreciated .
Thanks a lot for any advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.