Weird Shift Cable Question

Justinweigt

Seaman Apprentice
I decided to change my shift cable on my 1974 Slickcraft Tri-hull with Mercruiser 3.0. I bought the cable and kit online thinking the were all the same. I bought the removal tool as well. When I removed the out drive I was surprised to see that there was no nut to remove. It seems to be on the bellow side of the gimbal housing.

My kit looks like the all the other ones out there. Is there a different kit I need to buy? The out drive is a MR from 1974.

Attachments

• photo250094.jpg
    photo250094.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Ya need to buy a Tap, 1/4" Straight, not tapered, pipe thread,....

Ole bellhousin' like yer's are converted to the standard lower shift cable, rather than have their own part number,....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
To remove the old one cut it just aft of the bellow and use a deep socket to unscrew it. Then get the correct tap , and install the newer cable.

Justinweigt

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you, do I tap it from the back or front? I really do not want to remove the bellows.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It's best to tap from the front of the bell housing. Unfortunately that does mean removing it from the gimbal ring. The reason for not doing it from the back is that there is greater risk of crossing the threads.

Chris....