Stuck Outdrive

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Was going out today, heard the engine RPM's change when getting on plane. Backed-off right away. Tried again and it sounded like I spun the prop, engine rev'd high. Make a long story short, drive goes into gear, prop doesn't turn. Open the engine hatch and find gear oil reservoir overflowed with not good looking oil. So expect oil in the outdrive and shot upper gears.

​Get the boat home and begin to remove outdrive. All bolts off and it only comes out about 1/2". Took the top cap off, gear oil down about an inch below the vent screw, still covering the driven gear. Oil has water in it. drive gear looks ok, can't see driven gear. Thought maybe u-joints went preventing the drive coming off. Turn the engine over and drive gear turns.

Need the trick of using a 2X4 and the rams to try to get the drive off........

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Do you have the shifter in fwd gear? It should be so the shift shaft lines up straight, then it should slip right off.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
It's funny how you can overlook something when you're fixated on a problem!
​Thank you Grub for pointing out the obvious.
Put it in fwd.........drive came right off!
Looks like the vertical shaft......will dis-assemble tomorrow.........enough fun for today!

This site is so great!
When I couldn't get the drive off I walked away and posted my problem.........
Minutes later I get the answer!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Whew! Glad I could help. Hey I've done the same thing when I get fixated on a problem. Have to walk away and contemplate lifes mysteries. lol

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Well......just removed the drain plug.....nothing but water and metal on the magnet.
​Not sure what happened......I pressure tested the drive over the winter!
Looks like I need a new drive...........