Lower Unit Swap: 67 Starcraft alpha 1 120hp upper: pre alpha 90hp lower

Rod Burton

Cadet
Can I swap my lower unit out from under an alpha 1 upper: to go to a 90 hp pre alpha "lower". I have a 120 mercruiser engine. Just need a new lower. I can sen pics

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
if the lowers are the same and the driveshaft splines the same, then yes

Rod Burton

Cadet
No Title

At a glance, They look the same but I have not taken the pre alpha lower apart yet to check the spine. What about the gear ratios?

Attachments

• photo249396.jpg
    photo249396.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
What you're calling 'pre-alpha' is infact a very old 'O' drive. (there is no such thing as a pre-alpha drive. 33 different drives fit the description as 'before the Alpha One').
It may bolt up, but the shift system is incompatible. I have looked on my Merc part drawings, and also a variety of websites. Nobody is showing breakdown drawings or listing parts for the old 'O' drives any longer. The overall ratio of the 'O' drive for the 90 was 2:1. Close to the 1.98:1 of the Alpha One, but I have no idea how the ratios are split between the housings. What I mean, is that the Alpha upper is 1.65:1 and it's lower is 1.64:1, giving the total ratio of 1.98:1. Without knowing what the tooth count in the 'O' drive lower is, no idea what the final ratio will be.

Chris.......

Rod Burton

Cadet
After taking the 90hp apart, they do not match. I think I can still use the prop of the 90hp. No loss. I did get the thing for 30$.