1987 Mercruiser 165 HP 4 Cyl. dies, then no power to ignition

Scott1958

Recruit
My first post.

Info: Engine has not been started for 2 years until today, no gas to carb.
Replaced fuel pump, filters
Had to replace battery, changed from a deep cycle battery to the Auto Zone 27DP-DL 800 cca 110 ah
I had a water supply to the lower unit but noticed there was a kink in the hose after I stopped, some water was going through.
Engine started right up. It ran for 3-4 minutes, then there was a few seconds of misfires and died. No power to the ignition. turn key and nothing.
There is a main reset button just behind the engine, I pushed it but no power to ignition. After a few minutes the power returned to the ignition and it started.
I repeated the scenario four more times. Same steps and length of time. Something is getting hot.

I am not sure what would cause this; maybe the coil (it only has one coil). I would sincerely appreciate anyone's advice.

Scott from Borger TX

thumpar

Admiral
If nothing happens when you turn the key it is not the coil. It would still turn over with a bad coil just not start. Time to start cleaning connections and checking voltages when it happens.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Does the engine still run points? Does the engine still use the original voltage regulator (heat dump) and alternator? I'm thinking either the ignition module (if it's been upgraded to electronic) is getting hot, or the voltage regulator is getting hot and dragging the main battery voltage down. You may need to get intimate with a mutlimeter and the engine wiring.

Chris.......

salty3rd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Right next to that main reset button you were talking about is a plug connection for the main wiring harness jiggle that and see if you get power to the ignition. if its loose tighnen the hose clamp. As for it sputting out when its running, when it starts sputtering out carefully dump a little gas down the throat of the carburator and see if that helps, that will tell you if its a fuel or electrical problem.