SEI upper install A1 help

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
installing new SEI A1 upper.. 1987 3.0 GM 1.94. it's the correct upper for my boat, gave serial # to SEI, they confirmed it, got new gaskets, seals, greased up shaft slid in, bit of giggling, sliding down the bolts and stops less than 1/4 from flush,, what am I doing wrong here? the lower is separated from the upper, took it apart and inspected the water pump which was fine.. boats in forward gear.. should I have the lower connected and turn the prop to close the gap so the upper goes flush for bolt on?? thanks all

NHGuy

Captain
Are you trying to put the upper on the boat or onto the lower?
I always assemble the lower to the upper. Then put it on the boat (in forward), and when it stops sliding, turn the prop shaft a couple of degrees counterclockwise while leaning on the drive. This allows the drive splines to slip into the coupler splines.

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain
OK, so if the drive was together you could do as I wrote.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Installed upper first, could get it flush..bout 1/4 from..

Have you tried the 'Merc-kick'? 1/4" from flush suggests the splines have engaged. Have you checked the upper shift shaft to intermmediate shaft? It might be hanging up there.

As for installing the upper onto the bell-housing, then the lower onto the upper, or putting the drive back together then fitting it to the boat. I know many here insist on doing the drive as a whole, but I have never had a problem doing it either way (often drop just the lower to service a water pump). It's up to you. Just don't forget the seal between the drive sections, and to fill it with oil. If you are confident that the drive will not leak... No problem.

Chris.....

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks all, I see the value of having a "stand/bench/anything to properly hold/support the lower while trying to drop the upper in place, that said, I hauled it down to local small marine shop, an hour of his time,, done..vs. hours of struggling.. it's not the weight, yea it's heavy..toss in grease slip...pass

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Most drives push on by hand to within an 1.8 to 3/16ths.A bigger gap than that and something is still wrong. Grease under the O rings, dirt or rust on the gimbal bearing or inputshaft, slight misalignment of the engine or gimbal bearing, shift shoes not lined up in fwd gear.