4.3l merc cuts out

Todd1

Cadet
Cruising at 25mph and suddenly it cuts out just for a second and continues to run fine then cuts out for a second again. Changed the cap/rotor/pick up coil/wires and plugs. (thought of tether switch but don't know how to check?) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
First thought would be a loose connection. Which 4.3 is it carb, efi, engine serial number?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
A wet shift interrupt switch will do that to.

Todd1

Cadet
Ser# omo69905 2001 stingray bowrider. 2barrel carb I think it'd an Olds engine.

achris

General Motors 262 cu in V6. Balance shaft and vortec heads.

Todd1

Cadet
Not the lanyard tether. By passed it and took it out for a spin. The same thing happens. Getting electrical connector cleaner and will shoot the 10 pin next and any other connections I run into.. keep you updated

Todd1

Cadet
Checked interrupter switch cleaned contacts and re installed. Wrapped it and went for a test drive the same things happening???

achris

Do your instruments dies at the same time?

Todd1

Cadet
Happens so fast but will keep an eye on the instruments next test drive.
Will look at the adjustment of the interrupter switch.
Will test drive on Thursday and let you know what happens. Thanks so much for the all troubleshooting

Todd1

Cadet
Could not find an adjustment on the shift interrupter switch. It is a push button style and a rocker that turns it off and on when you shift. Cleaned contacts still shuts off .???

Last edited:

Todd1

Cadet
Can't tell if the instruments shut down happens so fast

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You might disconnect one wire to the interrupt switch just for a test drive. It won't shift out of gear when you do that, so might have to kill the motor to get it to go into neutral. But will tell you if the interrupt is malfunctionin. Hook back up before you go back to dock!

Last edited:

Todd1

Cadet
The spring on the interrupter switch was the culprit. I have the button switch and the spring in the rocker had too much slack so i spread the spring to put more tension on it and problem gone. Thanks for all the help

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Right on. That makes perfect sense.

I just love a cheap repair. Virtually never happens on boats.

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The spring on the interrupter switch was the culprit. I have the button switch and the spring in the rocker had too much slack so i spread the spring to put more tension on it and problem gone. Thanks for all the help

Is this switch located inside of the shift control box? I'm having a similar problem with my boat and even though it's an OMC/Volvo hybrid with same engine, guts of box probably similar. Thought my issue was water in gas but gas looks good.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
No, the switch is on the engine. You have a different problem, start a new thread.