Preventative maintenance @ 150 hrs '95 350 mag

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another month or so and i will be wrapping it up for the winter, before that, id like to do some preventive maintenance. Around 150 hrs on motor, can any forum members tell me what i should have the merc tech change/ replace? I know people have learned what they should have done after the fact, id appreciate any info!
Thanks
Cory

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
The hours on the engine are not as important as simply time. Every couple of years the impeller ought to be replaced in the drive. When you pull the drive to replace the impeller, it is a good idea to check the engine alignment. Most people change the oil and filter every year in the engine. Things like these. Hours on the engine are generally not a good indicator of maintenance. For some it would take very little time to put on 150 hours - others it would take years.

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The hours on the engine are not as important as simply time. Every couple of years the impeller ought to be replaced in the drive. When you pull the drive to replace the impeller, it is a good idea to check the engine alignment. Most people change the oil and filter every year in the engine. Things like these. Hours on the engine are generally not a good indicator of maintenance. For some it would take very little time to put on 150 hours - others it would take years.
Thanks for that! On a bravo 3 outdrive opposed to an alpha, ive heard the impeller is different ,
As in the location. Due to work etc, my season is being cut short and will have to think of winterizing soon. I will have the impeller checked and engine alignment checked this year as its my first with this boat. On a 95 350 is it possible to change the oil with a pump from the dip stick? Ive looked for videos but mostly are newer mercs, im also looking doing the no anti freeze this year as ive read lots of bondo's threads.. And agree with his perspective that air simply wont freeze. But need to become familiar with all the drains and spots that hold water.
Last run of the season and theres belt shaving in my bilge, was easy to spot cause i keep her clean. Just about to put a straight edge across the pulleys and see whats going on!!

Thanks again guys
Cory

NHGuy

Captain
If your pulleys are lined up it could be abrasion from rusty pulleys too.
I think that yes you can suck out the oil. But do it warm not hot, not cold. And if you are trying to be neat, as it sounds, put something below the filter to catch the inevitable drips.
Inspect a spark plug from each side of the intake manifold if it's carbed and dual plane. If it's EFI still have a look.
I do understand the impeller is inside on the engine in a B3.

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If your pulleys are lined up it could be abrasion from rusty pulleys too.
I think that yes you can suck out the oil. But do it warm not hot, not cold. And if you are trying to be neat, as it sounds, put something below the filter to catch the inevitable drips.
Inspect a spark plug from each side of the intake manifold if it's carbed and dual plane. If it's EFI still have a look.
I do understand the impeller is inside on the engine in a B3.

Thanks buddy!! Its a merc '95 pre vortech 350. '98 mariah shabah 18 footer. She's in mint shape
Sorry for my rookieness, but what am i looking for when i inspect plugs?
And yes after further reasearch ive found that its on the engine side. Which is way out of my league right now but i will learn. Lol!!!

alldodge

Staff member
If you supply the engine serial number we can get closer as to what your looking at. Do you have 1, 3 or seven point drain system? If you don't know take a pic of the motor at the front down low.

The B3 uses an engine mounted, belt driven water pump and as Fishermark mentioned, it should be replaced every two years IMO. Others go another year on the change, but its a cheap part and the one which can destroy the motor if it fails.

Yes, suck the oil out the dipstick after it has been warmed up.

NHGuy

Captain
18 footer with a 350...lots of motor. You can pull tug boat duty with that thing! Don't worry though, well powered boats are good on fuel because they rarely run wide open throttle. And the engines hold up well because they are not over worked.
I don't know much about the Mariah's but I do like the exterior graphics on some of the 90's vintage models.

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you supply the engine serial number we can get closer as to what your looking at. Do you have 1, 3 or seven point drain system? If you don't know take a pic of the motor at the front down low.

The B3 uses an engine mounted, belt driven water pump and as Fishermark mentioned, it should be replaced every two years IMO. Others go another year on the change, but its a cheap part and the one which can destroy the motor if it fails.

Yes, suck the oil out the dipstick after it has been warmed up.

Ok alldodge ill check back with the serial number. I see 2 plastic plugs i believe are under the manifold, and i seen 2 brass ( at least they look like brass) square head plugs on the block lower down. So thats already 4 i dont like assuming but i believe its more than 3 points. Its a '95.

On either side of the engine, above where the block drains are, facing downward, theres 2, i'd say almost 1" in diameter, 8" or so apart from front to back, threaded and looks like a half inch drive socket wrench would fit. I dont think theyre drains though.

Is that belt driven water pump, looking at the motor, on the furthest left and the lowest pulley? If so, thats where my belt shavings had started to gather.

Did ya get the prop slip worked on your boat?

alldodge

Staff member
Ok alldodge ill check back with the serial number. I see 2 plastic plugs i believe are under the manifold, and i seen 2 brass ( at least they look like brass) square head plugs on the block lower down. So thats already 4 i dont like assuming but i believe its more than 3 points. Its a '95.

On either side of the engine, above where the block drains are, facing downward, theres 2, i'd say almost 1" in diameter, 8" or so apart from front to back, threaded and looks like a half inch drive socket wrench would fit. I dont think theyre drains though.

The two blue on the manifold are drains, the two brass plugs one on each side are for the block (should be 7/16). Might also have one on the fuel and/or power steering cooler

Is that belt driven water pump, looking at the motor, on the furthest left and the lowest pulley? If so, thats where my belt shavings had started to gather.

Yes, down low, bottom pulley on the starboard side

Did ya get the prop slip worked on your boat?

Getting there, I'm working with a guy which so far we went from 26% to 18% and expect it to come down further. Not posting anything yet, but the boat is performing real well, and expect to get the slip down in the 10 to 11% range.

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes nhguy, everyone warned me about fuel consumption but its surprisingly good on gas.
Its seemed the 3.0l i owned before guzzled it especially pulling the kids on the tubes. I even went on the tube once and my wife drove, wasnt bad. Made the mistake with this boat, she has no sense of speed on water, nor does she look at the speedo,
I was at the mercy of the water gods when i couldn't take the g forces any longer. Skipped like a rock for what felt like 80'. " i wasnt even going fast" she said. Haha!

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This was taken right after i pulled the seats/ carpet out for a good cleaning ( didnt have the cleaning done yet lol)

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to get tha hang of this picture posting. Bare with me pls! again, after i pulled seats and carpet out etc ,

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The two blue on the manifold are drains, the two brass plugs one on each side are for the block (should be 7/16). Might also have one on the fuel and/or power steering cooler

Yes, down low, bottom pulley on the starboard side

Getting there, I'm working with a guy which so far we went from 26% to 18% and expect it to come down further. Not posting anything yet, but the boat is performing real well, and expect to get the slip down in the 10 to 11% range.

I posted image of serial number. So far ie found 2 manifold drains (plastic) and 2 block drains. Starboard had what im assuming is a sensor.
I posted an image also of the front of the motor id like to beome familiar with all the pulleys.
Im spending time tracing hoses and figuring out where they all lead to to find out witch ones to disconnect for drainage.
Whats the part called just ahead of rhe carb on the top where 4 hoses seem to meet?
Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
I'm starting to really dislike photbucket, you go look at a pic and they start booming you with adds. I also use it just not much anymore
Your serial number is 0F747372, if you out it in your signature along with the drive then it will always be there when you ask a question.

You found the manifold drains, the sensor on the starboard side is your knock sensor. It is attached using the Y-adapter shown to the right of your pic below. There should be a 1/4 brass pipe plug which is removed to drain the block.

Slide2.JPG

On the port side you will need to remove this hose going into the power steering cooler and lower it into the bilge. This will drain the seawater pump, cooler and hose going to the thermostat housing. Also pull the brass plug you found on this side of the block.

Slide3.JPG

Remove hose as noted to drain water pump

slide 4.jpg
It might not be that close, but the pulley just looks close to the fuel fill hose.

Slide1.JPG

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Holy **** thats incredible! I wasnt expecting that! Holy cow thanks for taking the time, outfits here want 450 dollars for a winterization using the earmuffs/ anti freeze thing.
I thought the images where on the actual thread, i didnt realise you had to go to photobucket.
I found where the shavings where coming from, one of the larger hoses coming from that piece on the very top was resting against the water pump pulley.

i know all this stuff is basic to most boaters, but man thank god for people like you guys on here who take time when they dont have to!!! Impressive.

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm starting to really dislike photbucket, you go look at a pic and they start booming you with adds. I also use it just not much anymore
Your serial number is 0F747372, if you out it in your signature along with the drive then it will always be there when you ask a question.

You found the manifold drains, the sensor on the starboard side is your knock sensor. It is attached using the Y-adapter shown to the right of your pic below. There should be a 1/4 brass pipe plug which is removed to drain the block.

On the port side you will need to remove this hose going into the power steering cooler and lower it into the bilge. This will drain the seawater pump, cooler and hose going to the thermostat housing. Also pull the brass plug you found on this side of the block.

Remove hose as noted to drain water pump

It might not be that close, but the pulley just looks close to the fuel fill hose.

Hey buddy, those images made it easiar! Once i got into it, and really saw how the hose system works its really not that bad. Everything is drained and i took some time and blew out hoses etc, with shop vac. Its good to get up close to your motor, noticed a few things, both valve cover vents have residual oil around them, oil filter had a small leak, ( found oil in the motor mount bolt washer)
The rubber shavings i thought was coming from my belt, was actually from the big hose with the elbow on the front, the belt was rubbing it, even though it was zip tied to a fuel line,
You think the block is drained until you probe the holes!! Lol then another few litres come out.