looking for mercruiser wiring diagram, pre thunderbolt

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
i have an 88 5.7 with prestolite distributor & need the wiring diagram, all i find are thunderbolts,
thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That's because they were all T-Bolt ignition by '88,.....

Try manual #1 for earlier stuff,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
i have an 88 5.7 with prestolite distributor & need the wiring diagram, all i find are thunderbolts,
thanks

If it has a points distributor, it ain't '88....
Do you have a voltmeter or an ammeter in the dash? And what colour is the output wire (the big thick one) from the back of the alternator, red/white or orange?

Chris.....

achris

I have found a few drawings that may match what you are looking for. Is this an inboard 'Ski' engine? If it has a Prestolite distibutor, then it will have had points as factory supplied. If it no longer has points, someone has modified it. Can you post the engine serial number to be sure we get you the right one.

Chris......

Last edited:

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
the engines have been replaced several times already, so no #'s. the boat is a 30' searay. there does not appear to be any points in this distributor.

achris

The boat could be a 300' searay, doesn't matter. What the boat is is total irrelevant. So, it's an inboard. It there a name on the module in the distributor? Does the plate the module is mounted to move? Any chance of a few pictures?