Mechanical Fuel Pump Swap Issues

kschnebly

Seaman
I am swapping my Mechanical fuel pump on a 1993 7.4 Bravo One. It has a combo sea water and fueI pump. Seloc Manual says its a 18-7288-1 which is what I bought. The issue is that the inlet and outlets connections are not in the same location. the outlet can be rotated by unscrewing the body. the inlet how ever is not able to be rotated due to the way the pump operates. Has anyone else encountered this and if so is the solution just to rework the fuel lines?

kschnebly

Seaman
No Title

That explains it. Guess I'll reorder and Im going with the much more affordable Airtex.

Attachments

• photo249145.JPG
    photo249145.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Airtex makes the pump for Merc, might even see the name on your old pump. My old one did

Edit: don't forget to change the lube in the pump

kschnebly

Seaman
'
Airtex makes the pump for Merc, might even see the name on your old pump. My old one did

Edit: don't forget to change the lube in the pump

The airtex seems to be backordered everywhere. Do you know of a good supplier for them?

alldodge

Staff member
'

The airtex seems to be backordered everywhere. Do you know of a good supplier for them?

That usually happens in mid summer, all the folks have sold out. Found a few at Amazon but note the part number is correct and so is the pic, but in the title it says 92 to 93
https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-60932-Mechanical-Mercruiser-Cylinder/dp/B002HTYRD8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airtex-6093...Mercruiser-Marine-454-and-502-8-/151658546811

I know the part numbers is correct, bought two a few years ago for my boats and still have the box and the one removed from my cruiser during repower.

I would suggest contacting the sellers and ask the question

alldodge

Staff member
Just went to the Airtex website and they also only show the one part number for marine and list as 92-93

alldodge

Staff member
Just had another idea much sounds (to me) like the reason for the issue. Airtex just changed their website a few months ago and prior they showed both late model and newer model pumps and numbers. Now Airtex has the newer pump pic and number on their site, and same pic is used on other websites.

1-800-424-7839
techsupport@airtexproducts.com

kschnebly

Seaman
I ended up ordering the Sierra since it was readily available. I did send an email to Seloc telling them that there numbers were wrong and that I was not happy with the time I lost and the restocking fees I have to pay. We'll see if they care. My guess is they won't.