Constant Alarm

cluleyk

Recruit
Hello All. Thanks in advance for the help! I own a 2005 Crownline that has a 5.0 EFI Mercruiser. I keep it serviced pretty regularly and am pretty conscious about checking the different gauge levels, etc. The other day I had the boat out for an hour or so and the engine was plenty warm. Going about 30mph at about 3K RPM a constant alarm started and the engine began to bog down. Prior to this happening the oil pressure was about 40lbs and the engine temp was at 160. I brought the boat back to neutral and the alarm continued until I turned off the key. Started the boat again and no alarm. Throttled the boat up and alarm comes on again. I cut the boat off and restarted and idled back to the dock. Next day I did the same thing with the same results. One thing I noticed the next day was that the engine oil pressure was at almost 55-60 lbs before the engine got totally warm. Also the engine temp never got over 160. Haven't changed oil in a couple of years but oil level checks good. It doesn't have a gas/water filter but I usually use Stabil when I add gas. Drive fluid level good. Power steering fluid a little low. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Ken

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

The most probable cause is the water pressure sensor, they go bad quite often. Do you have the engine serial number so we can look it up?

Pete104

Lieutenant
Your gauges aren't telling you the whole story. The ECM or PCM is putting the engine in "guardian mode" because it senses something is not right. Once the code is set, guardian, the code has to be cleared by using the merc CDS or similar. Changing or throwing parts at it won't cut it!

No idea where "guardian" came from. You aren't in guardian. The code will not go away until the "fault code" is cleared! Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
The serial should be right on top of the engine along with transom and drive serial.