No fuel.filter on a 97 mercruiser 3.0lx?

97searay

Recruit
Boat is currently at the shop to diagnose a warm engine no start (maybe vapor lock?).
While I have the boat in the shop, I asked the mechanic to change out the impeller, gear oil, and fuel filter.
The mechanic tells me this engine does not have a fuel filter. Is this true? Any thoughts on the no start issue?
Engine serial is 0k191370

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The fuel filter is located in the bottom of the fuel pump on your engine.

As far as the warm start problem, maybe describe exactly what happens. Have you verified the choke is open when the engine is warm? How do you try and start when you have this no start condition?

http://www.iboats.com/Fuel-Pump-Filt...view_id.172660

As far as the warm start problem, maybe describe exactly what happens. Have you verified the choke is open when the engine is warm? How do you try and start when you have this no start condition?

Last edited:

97searay

Recruit
Hmm wonder why he would believe there is no fuel filter...
The only resolution to the no start when warm condition is to let it cool off for 30-40min. Once cool, she fires right up.
Mechanic thinks it's vapor lock, and believes a weak fuel pump is no longer able to overcome the vapor lock.
I believe this model has a mechanical fuel pump. It's my understanding that a mechanical fuel.pump either works or it doesnt. Perhaps im wrong?

97searay

Recruit
That's exactly what I do to restart the engine. I pull the cover and run the blower.
I guess my question is what has changed that now allows for vapor lock? The boat is nearly 20 years old and the no start when warm issue is relatively new, like within the last 3 seasons.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Is this the first time you have had it serviced? A plugged filter will stop the flow of fuel. It should have been changed at the end of each season, when laying up for the season.The shop tech should know where the filter is, if not, find another shop. A tune up may be in order for the rig. At a good shop.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
It is so rare to have a vapor lock on a boat because they have unlimited cooling and the fuel line doesn't run by anything that is hot. I would suspect almost anything else from carburetor to anti siphon valve and fuel pump in between. Fuel filter is pretty obvious place to start.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That's exactly what I do to restart the engine. I pull the cover and run the blower.
I guess my question is what has changed that now allows for vapor lock? The boat is nearly 20 years old and the no start when warm issue is relatively new, like within the last 3 seasons.
Kinda weird unless the formulation of fuel has changed in the last few years.

I would be measuring the fuel pressure to see what it's at and change the fuel filter like Rick said.

97searay

Recruit
I think it's time to go to a new technician. Today they ran the boat but were unable to reproducethe no start when warm condition. The no start condition has been consistent for the last 3 seasons, every single time I try to restart when warm.
So now I get to pick it up and deal with a $650 repair bill for what is essentially a gear lube and impellerchange.

Bondo

Staff member
So now I get to pick it up and deal with a $650 repair bill for what is essentially a gear lube and impellerchange.

Ayuh,..... Makes ya wanta run down to harbor fright, buy a toolbox, 'n fill it,.....

Welcome Aboard,.....