ADVICE NEEDED

fishinfiend

Cadet
JUST PURCHASED THIS RENKIN 230 HERES THE GOOD (THE HULL) HERE IS THE UGLY WENT TO TRY AND SEE IF IT WOULD CRANK CHECKED THE OIL GUESS WHAT COMES SHOOTING OUT OF THE OIL SPOUT YOU GUESSED IT WATER. REMOVED THE SPARK PLUGS GUESS WHAT SPITS OUT OF THOSE ABSOLUTLY RIGHT IF YOU GUESSED MORE WATER. HERE IS MY QUESTION DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH IT TO REBUILD THE MOTOR OR TO JUST DROP IN A USED OR REMANUED MOTOR.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
JUST PURCHASED THIS RENKIN 230 HERES THE GOOD (THE HULL) HERE IS THE UGLY WENT TO TRY AND SEE IF IT WOULD CRANK CHECKED THE OIL GUESS WHAT COMES SHOOTING OUT OF THE OIL SPOUT YOU GUESSED IT WATER. REMOVED THE SPARK PLUGS GUESS WHAT SPITS OUT OF THOSE ABSOLUTLY RIGHT IF YOU GUESSED MORE WATER. HERE IS MY QUESTION DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH IT TO REBUILD THE MOTOR OR TO JUST DROP IN A USED OR REMANUED MOTOR.

Howdy

Welcome aboard!

Well, It's hard to know what to suggest unless you tell us what you have. It's very helpful if you include make and model number. The make of the boat itself isn't very useful at all.

Now having said that, It sure sounds like you have a cracked block, cracked head(s) and/or cracked manifold(s), riser(s) etc, at the least.

You could probably pressure check the block but if it's been sitting very long, the internals are junk anyway.

If you do not know what you have, pictures help too!

Also, It helps if you turn your CAPS LOCK off and include some punctuation. It makes the posts a little easier to read!

Cheers,

Rick

harleyman1975

Ensign
I would take pictures and then remove old motor and start disassembling the accesories making careful notes and documenting with photos as it comes apart to aid in reassembly and then buy a reman/new long block from a reputable engine builder.

fishinfiend

Cadet
Thanks HT32 here is what i have so far [h=1]MERCRUISER : 175 HP/ 4.3L/205 HP/4.3L/LX[/h] the serial number is: C459912

I will post pictures soon

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks HT32 here is what i have so far [h=1]MERCRUISER : 175 HP/ 4.3L/205 HP/4.3L/LX[/h] the serial number is: C459912

I will post pictures soon

:thumb:

Before you take it apart, pressure check the block and heads. If the block is cracked, it's not worth anything except maybe as an anchor! (I wouldn't trust the manifolds and risers either unless they looked REALLY near new and weren't cracked.)

Then you can start looking for a Long block or even a wrecking yard truck engine. (you could even find yourself a 5.0/5.7L engine too. That's a pretty good sized boat. It might be a little underpowered with a V-6)