Model/year confusion

Heavy<313>

Seaman Apprentice
Everytime I look up parts for my boat it shows me a closed cooling system, however my boat is definitely raw water cooled. Any insite as to why this might happen?
I've only owned this boat for a month and this is my first boat, i'm trying to get it seaworthy.

I believe what I have is a 2000 Bayliner 1952 Cuddy Cabin. It has the 3.0 Liter 4 cylinder.
Boat serial: BIYB45CNH900
The Aircleaner has a blank Engine/Transom Serial but has the following Drive Serial 0L725896
Right above the starter I found a plaque with the following Engine Serial: L617098 Mercury Mercruiser

Can anyone tell me more information based on the above? Is this the original motor? Is it a 2000 model year?
I believe I should be running a 140 degree thermostat but the closed cooling system wants a 160... however I don't have a closed cooling loop.

If you haven't figured it out yet this is my first boat and I'm trying to learn all I can!

alldodge

Staff member

Heavy<313>

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thank you for your reply... However this is definitely not closed cooling right?
Please don't judge me from this photo, its a pre-purchase photo and I have been working to clean/replace items.

Attachments

• photo248946.jpg
    photo248946.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Heavy<313>

Seaman Apprentice
Okay i'm new to this... Does that mean the documentation is wrong or my motor was swapped or the cooling system was swapped or what? I realize you may need more info and I'm happy to provide it if I can :)

alldodge

Staff member
Guess I need to understand when you say "every time when I look up parts for my boat", where are you looking?

It may have been changed but if it was, they changed the whole motor with a complete package

Heavy<313>

Seaman Apprentice
Well for instance your link above http://www.mercruiserparts.com/3-0l-gm-181-i-l4-0l097000-thru-0w30199 shows closed cooling which is clearly incorrect so I need to be sure which parts to order to service the cooling system.
I'm having an overheating problem i'm trying to solve. It seems to cool just fine on muffs but as soon as I put it on the lake and get up on plane it overheats.
So far I have replaced the impellor and thermostat. Next I was going to check the exhaust flap and go from there.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree it does show closed cooling. As I mentioned previously, the second line from the bottom states Thermostat and hoses for standard cooling. If you select that link it comes up with this

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30905/4893/150

Item 3 is the thermostat and shows 160 degrees. It also has two different hose setups for if you have power steering or not. Hoses 14 and 15 where replaced by 24 and 25. You may have the older hoses, but if they are needed they are replaced with the new ones.

If you do have a power steering cooler, remove the hoses, look for debris and back flush

Heavy<313>

Seaman Apprentice
Ahh okay, I guess I missed that the first time, thank you for your patience. My top cooling hose goes right from the transom to the thermostat housing so no power steering. Just having that diagram helps a lot thank you!