Crack in Alpha One Gen 2 Bell housing

dvmp56

Recruit
Hi everyone,

I picked up a project boat. I have replaced everything in the engine compartment. The boat runs great...took it out on its first test run yesterday and after five minutes out a loud noise occurred and white smoke engulfed the engine compartment. Turned out the Gimbal bearing was seized to the drive shaft. I changed all fluid in the leg, etc but failed to check the bearing...stupid of me. Anyways since the shaft was seized to the bearing it was a pain to remove the leg. I slammed the leg down a few times to remove the leg along with the bearing;. I was then able to pull the bearing off the shaft once it was out. I inspected the bell housing and noticed it cracked where it was being slammed down on. The crack is located in the exhaust housing so I am not concerned with water entering, etc. Do you guys think I should replace the whole housing or a bit of marine JB weld should do the trick to strengthen? I have a attached a picture of the crack from under the bell housing. The boat has a 5.0l MPI with some good power. I am wondering is this area will be under a lot of torque against the transom or if the rams take it. Any advice of where to get a used one would be appreciated as well if it must be changed. The leg has 50 hours on it, a real shame. The previous owner forgot to remove the plug in the boat prior to parking it for a year. It filled up with water hence why water entered the Gimbal bearing area. Anyways, any advice is appreciated. (Scratches are me prepping for JB weld)

IMG_3016.JPG

Last edited: