Gimbal, drive oil leak, help and, advice

tunaboss

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 96 Bayliner with a 350, and Alpha One Gen 2. I have a few issues. My drive oil reservoir tank is draining into the bilge area, and my gimbal is howling at me. So I figure might as well change the impeller too. Success on the impeller, but for the life of me I couldn't get the gimbal out. I watched a lot of you tube and thought I was on my way. Is there any kind of retainer ring or clip that needs to come out before I start hammering out the bearing? Also, when I got the drive off I had oil in the drive bellows is that most likely the drive shaft seals. Can the oil in the bellows make it's way into the bilge? Why is my reservoir leaking tank looks perfect, and I haven't been able to follow it behind the engine yet. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Is there any kind of retainer ring or clip No
Also, when I got the drive off I had oil in the drive bellows is that most likely the drive shaft seals Carrier seal or a grooved yoke
Can the oil in the bellows make it's way into the bilge? Yes
Why is my reservoir leaking tank looks perfect, and I haven't been able to follow it behind the engine yet The res feeds the drive and the drive is leaking into the bellows

tunaboss

Seaman Apprentice
So I should keep banging away with the 5lb slide hammer until the bearing brakes loose? I don't think the oil is from the carrier being that the reservoir has emptied twice. So assuming the yoke is not grooved replacing the shaft seals should be the right path. Also, I don't remember seeing the seals come out with the shaft, do they typically fall off when you pull the drive unit? And if so, how do o you fish them out.

tunaboss

Seaman Apprentice
If I pressure test the out drive, will that eliminate #18 as the culprit. I really don't think the oil is coming from that part of the drive. I'm thinking, that the oil in the reservoir is filling the drive by gravity and getting past the O-rings on the shaft and into the bellows. Is that a possibility or am I on the wrong track. However, the oil in the bilge is the fresh oil from the tank, if my thought process is correct, shouldn't the bellows be full of fresh oil as well. Or can the feeder line from the tank to the drive leak directly into the bilge before it gets into the bellow? Also, I am assuming that I need to keep banging away at that bearing, and how do I get the old seals out if they are not on the drive shaft when I pulled the drive.

Thanks again for all your input.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
If I pressure test the out drive, will that eliminate #18 as the culprit.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... That is correct,....
But if the bellows is fulla oil, that's the only way in,....
and getting past the O-rings on the shaft and into the bellows.
O-rings on which shaft,..??
Or can the feeder line from the tank to the drive leak directly into the bilge before it gets into the bellow?
Of course, it can leak anywhere 'tween the tank, 'n it's fittin' on the transom housin',....
Also, I am assuming that I need to keep banging away at that bearing,
A 5lb hammer ain't very big,...
Go bigger, or get a length of threaded rod, 'n build a screw puller,...
What are ya usin' behind the bearin' to pull it,..??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The housing has a vent hole at 12:00 and 6:00 just above and below the gimbal bearing. The bellows should have neither water or oil in it.

tunaboss

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for all your input, obviously I am new to the boat repair. I tried banging the bearing out with a 5lb slide and axle bearing attachment. Looks like I need to find a 20lb slide. This boat has always been a good runner and never had any problems with it. I had it in storage parked with the transom down hill and unfortunately had the plug in. It collected a lot of rain water after a storm and filled the bilge at least to the oil pan of the engine if not higher. That's when my problem started. I'm thinking water got into the gimbal bearing from the inside the boat if that is possible, not from bad bellows. I took the boat out and noticed the growl of the gimbal and greased it from the zerk on or near the bell housing? Instead of a squirt or two, I pretty much finished the tube of grease, so maybe that excess grease is what I am seeing and not drive oil? The O-rings I speak of are the ones on the drive shaft that go through the gimbal. Maybe water got in through the back of the boat mixed with excessive grease and gives the resemblance of gear oil, I don't know. Anyway, I tried to make arrangements for the marine center to take a look at if for me, but they wanted +/- $600 for a service and then add additional repairs, unfortunately, I don't have the extra $$$ laying around for that. When I pulled the boat out of storage a few weeks ago to start working on it, is when I noticed the drive oil reservoir drained into the bilge, I changed the oil out of the drive unit and topped off the reservoir, when I went to work on it again this past weekend, my reservoir was empty and it had drained into the bilge again. So, how hard is and or, how do I go about repairing that. I have already replaced the impeller and the circulating pump. 1996 Bayliner 2050 Runabout. Thanks again. Also, when I drained my outdrive, the oil looked great, almost new with no water or milky appearance.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I changed the oil out of the drive unit and topped off the reservoir, when I went to work on it again this past weekend, my reservoir was empty and it had drained into the bilge again. So, how hard is and or, how do I go about repairing that.

Ayuh,.... Good question,..... Once ya figure out where it's leakin' from, We can discuss it,.....

Have ya examined the hose from the bottle to the transom for a leak,..??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Remove the drive and pressure test it, fimding gear oil in the bellows is from, a leaking carrier seal. Without removing the drive and testing it first, your spinning your wheel asking where it comes from.

tunaboss

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks again. I still have the drive off, I'll pressure test it this weekend and report back. I'll also trace the reservoir hose back to the transom and try to identify that leak. I hope I fit it looks awfully tight back there. Anyway, if the pressure test comes out good, it should be okay to reinstall the drive correct?

tunaboss

Seaman Apprentice
Also, one of the post I read said that I am supposed to glue in the large rubber gasket, what kind of glue do I use?

Bondo

Staff member
Also, one of the post I read said that I am supposed to glue in the large rubber gasket, what kind of glue do I use?

Ayuh,.... I use a finger fulla grease to hold the o-rings myself,....

Many use bellows cement,....

tunaboss

Seaman Apprentice
I'm back, had to take it to a shop for the bearing, best $60 I have spent. R&R the bearing and set the alignment. I also tested the out drive, once I was satisfied that my homemade pressure tester was not leaking I put my ear next to the top of the drive and I could hear the air escaping. So, can I change the seal myself, or something for the pro's they want $225 to do the repair. The mechanic told me that the oil in the bilge can be oil getting past the seal. Does that sound right? Thanks again.