Gen2 gear oil tank empty

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't understand how this system works. First Gen2 drive I've ever owned. OIl tank is bone dry. So I popped the top plug on the out drive and the gear oil was pressurized. (As I'd expect, it was filled from the bottom and given 2-3 more pumps after the top plug was installed).

I don't get how the tank would be dry though if there was enough gear oil in the out drive to cause pressure.

-- Joe

alldodge

Staff member
The bottle is used to keep the drive full. When refilling a drive there is an air pocket in the drive. The bottle is filled and as the air works its way out of the drive and into the bottle, so it will drop a bit. If it continues to drop and need refilling, there is a leak in the drive or the hose from the bottle to the drive.

Once the drive is installed, the lube can be pumped in from the bottom and fill the bottle so long as the cap is off. Doing this reduces the amount of air, but there will still be some air.

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The bottle is used to keep the drive full. When refilling a drive there is an air pocket in the drive. The bottle is filled and as the air works its way out of the drive and into the bottle, so it will drop a bit. If it continues to drop and need refilling, there is a leak in the drive or the hose from the bottle to the drive.

Once the drive is installed, the lube can be pumped in from the bottom and fill the bottle so long as the cap is off. Doing this reduces the amount of air, but there will still be some air.

Interesting. So if I just fill the bottle, and keep it fill it should eventually level off as the air is removed?

-- Joe

alldodge

Staff member
Interesting. So if I just fill the bottle, and keep it fill it should eventually level off as the air is removed?

-- Joe

Yes, IF (the big if) its not leaking somewhere. It should only lower a few ounces after a days outing. If it looses more then a few ounces more then once, or if the bottle goes from full to empty in one outing, you have a leak.

Loosing a few ounces every so often is not an issue, but should stay level once filled

Last edited:

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Went out for about 3 1/2 hours. I filled it to the fill line, and when I returned it hadn't moved at all. Sound right?

-- Joe

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds good, give it some time, it may change after it cools. It also may not, just watch it for the next few outings and then check every so often

buschfsu

Recruit
this is a noobie question by why couldn't you drain the drive oil put the bottom plug in and fill using the bottle? would't gravity fill the whole thing for you?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The passages are very small. The oil/air don't transfer easily and you end up running the drive with no oil in it. Not a good look.